Thursday, January 31, 2013

Loving & embracing my temple



Loving & embracing my temple
January 31st, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




I wanted to write a long post about all the reasons why to love my temple (my body) in spite of not being at 100% but I couldn't get myself together.
I stormed back from the gym at 8pm.
I got a last minute brief editing work which I just got through with.
I was preparing a class I have first thing in the morning.
My thoughts are all over the place because there are a few issues lined up this weekend so I can't focus completely. The clock keeps scrutinizing me (it is now 10:45). There goes my failed goal to be in bed by 10pm.

Therefore, I will keep this as short as possible. Next time I will go into further depth 

The last twenty-one days have been a slow transition to shape and strengthen my body. I can sense more normality in my life due to all the moving around just like before. Traces of dormant muscles are starting to re-appear, I am sleeping better and longer hours, I am eating cleaner and I am more enthused physically every day that goes by. I am more confident and a little more energized. I still have not had enough energy to make my crack of dawn work outs yet though.

I left the gym full of energy after I chitchatted with the manager who asked me if I had any experience in Health and Fitness because there's a new gym inaugurating in April or May and they will need experts to train their staff or to give cross training classes. "Would you be interested?" She asked. My response was, "I may not fit the profile, you will more likely look for younger girls." to which she replied, "not necessarily." 
We will schedule a meeting before March to see how we can team up! Wow! I am radiating happiness right now!
Another friend of mine suggested a similar project (that has been lingering in my mind for quite some time now).

A current description of me would NOT be 'fit,' but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, otherwise she wouldn't have asked.
In the same manner, a gym buddy who is very polite and honest, always tells me I am a genuine athlete who is in incredible shape. This was very flattering and boosting. 

These comments are my fuel considering that I still lack confidence (I do feel lighter but I haven't reached my goal yet). I don't dare snap any photos yet because it is consternating to reveal all the flab.
According to my standards, I am in my worst shape EVER!
In this arena I have always been very competitive, as a result, I don't allow anything or anyone to set boundaries upon me. Injuries can put a momentary halt but the combative me will never subside.

On the other hand, I need to embrace my temple for what it is not for the way it looks;  love, cherish, admire, and accept it, even the littlest scar as they are physical signs that I am Victory. 

 In regards to this self-confidence matter, men have it A LOT easier than women. Why? Because we have double layer of fat to protect our babies when we are pregnant and for numerous reasons. In general men have more self-acceptance than women. Men don't view their bodies (or anything else) as thoroughly as women. Men are more functional beings, they're more concerned about what their bodies can perform. Unlike us, women contemplate our body and  the zillion ways to decorate it…
Function vs. form
To women, almost 100% of the other women are fat.
To men, almost anything looks hot. LOL!

While women agonize about having TONS of extra pounds, and the pressure of the media doesn't mary it any better, men seem to enjoy it and appreciate it because the standards are a lot less smoother on them. 

Whatever differences between male and female, we as ladies have to care and nurture our body appropriately to feel happier and healthier but more importantly, shoot for acceptance because our temple will be our faithful companion from hereon. 

I got this from Natural Health Newsletter, an online health magazine I signed up for.

I do hereby declare that from this day forward I will choose to accept my body in its natural size and shape. I will celebrate all that my body can do for me each and every day. I will treat my body with respect, giving it enough rest, refueling it with nutritious food, exercising it regularly, listening to what it needs, and responding accordingly. I will choose to resist our society's pressures to judge myself and others based on body weight, shape, or size. I will believe that my self-esteem and identity come from within. And I will affirm that I am worthy and lovable, right now, exactly as I am!"



No comments: