Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pain is temporary... Pride is forever




Pain is temporary…
Pride is for ever
January 9, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



Fitness photo session II, 2012




Monday: Day number one at the gym was not as daunting as I imagined. Other than being fearful of physical pain, I was very insecure while doing this light routine:

1) 20 minute power walk on treadmill

2) 20 minute fat-burn on the elliptical

3) Leg-press: 3 three sets using both legs, 75 pounds. 

4) Leg-press: 3 sets using one leg at once (6 sets total), 40 pounds.

5) Seated leg-curl: 3 sets, 40 pounds.

6) Leg extension: 3 sets, 50 pounds

7) Abs, 3 sets using the medicine ball

Total workout time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Breaking a sweat was amazingly wonderful that made me long for my old high-intensity sessions but I kept repeating to myself, "self-control, self-control, don't forget that you cannot force your knee yet, NO jumping rope, No running, NOT EVEN jogging, NO spinning, or any hard impact moves that will your harm your knee. Just focus on endurance, losing body fat, gaining lean muscle, and strengthening your entire body."

Tuesday: Day off at gym, 45 minute power walk to my morning class and back.

Wednesday: Day number two at gym. 

Routine:

1) 25 minute power walk on treadmill

2) 20 minute random routine on elliptical

3) 3 sets of 15 pound dumbbell curls

4) 3 sets of 20 pound preacher curls

5) 1 set of 18 military push-ups

6) 2 sets of 10 scorpio push-ups

7) 3 12 pound sets of arm curls 

8) 3 12 pound sets of reverse curls

8) Standing Abs: 3 sets of 30 using a 10 pound round weight

Total workout time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Adding to that: a cleaner diet, more protein shakes (using birdseed protein which contains 3 or more times protein than others) and green veggies.

I am not acquainted with the woman that is looking at me in the mirror right now but I will soon encounter her and be the same Gina Yoryet  (I will add 5 pounds at every routine till I surpass my last goal). All through my time at the gym I kept reminding myself that I should take a 'me' pix at the beginning, another one at the end of this month, and one each month to record my progress but I hate taking pictures. I don't know what's with me the last couple of years, I used to LOVE flashing my pearly whites for the camera. I will get better at doing that later this year when...

After workout Reflexions: Emotional pain bent me temporarily in the past. What I gained: to be stronger and more stable mentally and spiritually, accept that there's a reason why every person has come to my life and vanished. 

Professional pain made me weep endlessly when I lost a highly important project because of a minor and insignificant disagreement between my client and I. I was disappointed, and felt like a failure for more than a year. What I learned: to be sharper at doing business and closing deals. I took a course called, "How to be a better negotiator."

Physical pain. My pain tolerance is 500% so I tend to be a deaf and blind tenant when it comes to its needs. I let my injury run until I literally couldn't walk. Consequences: My ligaments were out of place, a cyst ended up developing in my meniscus so my knee had to be drained and stitched back.
What I learned: To listen to my body's pleas, to give it occasional breaks, to be patient and prioritize my health in order to be whole and treat it like my most valuable asset. Like the temple it was meant to be. And don't fret about all the money spent because in the long run, it will be an investment a lifetime investment. 

Any time of pain is consternating and sleep depriving but only temporarily. True, most of my muscle and strength have dissipated but that will come back. My pride is much stronger and life enduring than all those tiny obstacles obstructing my path which means that I will never let myself go. I would not be able let myself deteriorate to that point. 

Up to this day nothing has put a halt to this super woman who in reality is NOT a super woman, only an ordinary woman who likes to insist, resist and persist…
and be 'Citius, Altius, Fortius once again. 




No comments: