Friday, January 11, 2013

Why Workout?



Why workout?
January 11, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


From a potato couch's angle, I am best described as a gym rat.
From a hard core athlete's mindset, I lack discipline and I am not in good shape.
I contradict both outlooks because neither one befits me for the following reasons.

1) I am not a potato couch
2) I eat healthy the majority of times
3) I am always on the run
4) I don't watch TV

And because

1) I have not ran even a 5k for 3 years and seven months.
2) I no longer compete
3) I am not a fitness role model
4) I struggle with food just like or more than most women
5) I lack discipline and motivation many times
6) On and on…

When women ask how I can be so focused, the truth is unveiled but they don't believe me. I set loads of rules but I am the first one to break them. I face a daily struggle with negativity BUT when I lose focus, I counterattack those feelings by envisioning where I want to get in four, eight twelve weeks. I shield myself from being sluggish and write motivational post it notes to me, I read and write about health and fitness and I keep moving to shed off the pounds.

That's why whenever I am feeling unmotivated I think of the following reasons why I should keep working out.

1) It is energizing
2) It improves the quality of sleep
3) It is relaxing
4) It is THE perfect anti-stress, anti-anxiety and anti-depressive alleviator
5) It keeps you away from trouble
6) It makes me feel attractive
7) It is a good time to network with other athletes
8) It makes me feel happier
9) It makes me physically, mentally and spiritually stronger
10) It is self-fulfilling
11) It increases my endurance
12) It keeps me away from the doctor's office
13) It helps me look and feel younger
14) It speeds up my metabolism
15) It reduces my body fat
16) It keeps my bones strong
17) It makes me challenge myself
18) It improves my breathing
19) It reduces the risk of many illnesses
20) It improves my mood
21) It is fun and exciting
22) It boosts memory
23) It builds intelligence
24) It makes my body more resistant to infections, illnesses, etc.
25) It makes me long for my next workout session 

That's why I have always told myself that one of the best gifts I can give myself, is to keep working out until I'm eighty, or ninety years old.

I am looking forward to my power walk tomorrow!

No comments: