Sunday, January 27, 2013

Moenia


Moenia 
January 27, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




Listening to British Dave Gahan, vocalist of Depeche Mode and Mexican Alfonso Pichardo, vocalist of Moenia, is like listening to the same person. Since Moenia emerged in the 90's, they have been compared with Depeche Mode because of the similarity in the two vocalists' voices. For my taste they are both very highly acclaimed musicians but I will keep Pichardo's voice because it is very deep, clear and manly unlike any other.

His firm voice is what lured me to go see him play at one of their concerts at some point but I was never able to for one thing or another until last night. A few weeks back I was filled with adrenaline when I found out about them coming and so I immediately told myself that now was the time.

I called a good friend of mine who shares a lot of the same likes and dislikes and so we did it!  Moenia played stunningly well. Forty year old Alfonso Pichardo is NOT only a physically gorgeous man but  he's also got charisma, an enchanting voice, energy and enthusiasm that make any woman drivel and drool over him. I could listen to him all day long. 

That is why I enjoyed every second of the long awaited event, except for them not playing long enough. I kept pleading with all my might for them to sing "Juegos de Amor, Llegaste a Mi and Sufre Conmigo," at no avail. Although those three songs were not sung, I have no major complaints whatsoever since they tuned, "Regreso a Casa," and "Quisiera Adivinar," which are amongst my favorites. 

In the 90's when I first listened to, "Estabas ahí, Terminales, Déjame Entrar, Color Melancolía, and No Importa que el sol se murex," I immediately became infatuated with the unknown voice. When I found out about this group called Moenia, I was not curious to find the meaning of the word Moenia until someone asked me a few weeks ago.
I don't quite get why they chose this name but that's what matters the least.
Here's the significance: Mural in latin.
According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: is a Latin phrase that means outside the walls or outside the walls of the city. The phrase is commonly used un reference to the original attributes of a building, usually a church, where it was built outside the origin city walls. Hence, when a city expands over time, a church which was originally outside the walls might end up in the center of the larger city.

As the music lovers we are and sharing the same taste, V, and I concluded that there are a few concerts lined up: Miguel Bose (I went to see him once before), Shakira (I got a chance to go see her play in Oakland), Paulina Rubio and Pepe Aguilar.

No comments: