Thursday, February 28, 2013

Motivation comes from within

Motivation comes from within
February 28, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




I'd been thinking about it for rather long but in reality, all I needed was a slight push to start integrating two weekly 5am routines. So far, one is nailed down, the second one is yet to happen (tomorrow). That light prod came to me unexpectedly but quite suitable last Saturday when I encountered a gym acquaintance who I originally met sometime last August. 
F, a young fitness enthusiast who is struggling to keep his weight down like many of us, commented that he is/was trying to get motivated to make his morning workouts as well but he has not able to get himself together.

Standing there chatting at the gym all to ourselves, we agreed to make that long-awaited come back last Monday. I was honestly not motivated in the least. The question was, what impulsed me to get on my feet that early once again? My competitive nature, the fact that I abhor losing, my womanly word, the compromise. 

At 5 am sharp there I was! I beat him to it. That fed my ego and rubbed it on his face when he arrived 15 minutes later. 

"What a nice way to get encouraged!" I pondered. Truthfully, deep down, I know that the minute I set my mind, heart and soul, I become very determined. So my thought was basically, "Motivation is internal, nobody can really motivate someone else, it comes down to just getting it down yourself."

Ok, when I can't seem to get a hold of myself (that is exactly where I stand physically as I type), I go through brief pity parties but once I'm on the rebound, I  get stronger, more decisive, constant and persevering. 
That is backed up with the perfect armor to nurture my most important spheres; my mind, body and soul.

To improve my writing and keep coming up with ideas and stay encouraged:
I drown in others' writing: Magazines, newspapers, books, internet articles, etc.
I thoroughly skim through their work and pay careful attention to their style, order and wording.

To avoid getting sad or lonely, to stay away from distractions and "bad influence," (I don't always succeed) and to avoid getting carried away in vanity, greed and empty and materialistic matters and to get motivated instead, this is what's worked once I'm focused:
Volunteer work, a great channel to pull me through.

To improve my teaching skills:
Hands on practice kicks in to help me learn by sharing my knowledge with others. 

To improve my translation/interpretation skills and to keep my enthusiasm going:
I attend workshops, get intake from other experts, do my homework to keep the flow going. 

My incentive to keep life as simple as possible and to keep my drive: 
Meet ordinary people, talk to them and learn from them.
Read successful people's biographies and/or blogs. 
Or simply meet people from all walks of life to induce myself even more and to be grateful for what I have. 

While working on those small details, I am biding my time, awaiting for what I like to call "my trial" to conclude. One day it will pay off every single suffering moment. I mean, if Mandela patiently waited 27 seven years in prison and Darwin's hope to prove what he believed in, the theory of relativity, never withered, I can compile all my work from 17+ years to be drawn together into one. All arduous work may not be immediately acknowledged but one day in the near future, it'll have its rewards. 

Why not be a Dolores Huerta, a Nancy Galan founder of the Adelante Movement, or a fabulous, intelligent, and talented Mexican Cuaima like Esmeralda Yesica Garcia or Olga Maria Morales?

Keep pushing it to be bigger and better every day!

No comments: