Saturday, February 23, 2013

Focus & discipline

Focus and discipline
February 23rd, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




Five weeks after dragging a throat infection, I am finally reaching the end of it. It was very bothersome because a throat virus had never been this long lasting. Finally on Tuesday morning I came down with a cold, had a stuffy nose, watery eyes, felt lightheaded, and puny and my cough was non stop day and night. 
I was not in the mood of going to the gym due to insufficient strength and motivation.

But I set my mind and forced myself to JUST DO IT!
I only managed to do a 30 minute power walk, 10 minutes on the elliptical and a few abs here and there.
40 minutes later I went straight to shower, checked out and came right back.
On Thursday I felt somewhat better so I drive to Sports Fitness (which is a bit further out), the other gym where I train only to find out my membership expired on the 18th! In less than five seconds I came up with an excuse to be let in and so it happened! 

I was still not that motivated to work out, was more lured to step into the sauna and interested in saying hello to the trainer, a friend of mine I met there last August. My time there was more productive than Tuesday.
Total time: 1hr, 10 minutes.
30 minute power walk
10 minute bike
Knee therapy and strengthening exercises, plus abs and stretching.

Today I almost skipped my session again but despite that, I hopped out of bed without a problem because I am marking my time frame, getting physically and mentally ready and make the transition to my early am routines as of this coming Monday. My goal for March is to do two early and two pm routines to make sure I am well rested and to avoid looking like a zombie. 

The last few days made me reinforce my mental state and push myself since I am on a kickoff till May. That's about 10 weeks to be exact. PM workouts just don't do it for me for numerous reasons:

1) My gym is a tiny little boxing ring which is packed, suffocating and smelly. Some people don't even bother wiping their sweat off the machines. YUCK!

2) Too many distractions; I either catch myself talking to a cutie for too long, or I end up lingering around for someone to get through with their workout so I can use the machines.

3) I can never seem to get my full mojo going because everyone stares through the mirror and that really makes me uncomfortable.

4) It is harder to get motivated, my workouts are longer and I waste a lot more time than in the morning.

Hence, I concluded that where I stand now,  motivation, focus and discipline is what I need to shoot for. Why? I am feeling the pressure (the good kind). I mean, my body has changed A LOT since I last did a sporting event or any professional photo shoot that I don't know how the whole me will react. 

I will have to push myself like I have many times, but what dispirits me (stress wise, not sadness wise) is my knee. It's been three months since I paid a visit to the slaughterhouse and there's still pain, throbbing and swelling. I wonder how much longer it'll be before I can start feeling normal again and when will I be able to perform at my max.

I'm wondering how to juggle those small issues against me to give it all I've got, and get motivated, focused and disciplined. On the other hand I am really looking forward to THE day!

No comments: