Thursday, February 7, 2013

Destined to reconnect

Destined to reconnect
February 7, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


"Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. They are  Work, Family, Health and Spirit  and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce right back. But the other four balls - Family, Health, Friends and Spirit - are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that, and strive for it. 
Work efficiently during office hours, and leave on time. Give the required time to your family and friends and have proper rest."

Value has a value only if its value is valued. 

Thirty second speech by Bryan Dyson, Coca Cola's former CEO came to my mind and perforated my heart very deeply when hearing the most unexpected and crushing news.  After being in shock for three days, today I finally assimilated the saddening revelation and broke out in desperate need to reach out to a beloved friend of mine who just lost her "angel" in a car accident. The full details are still unbeknownst to me. 

Death is a very delicate topic that we all try to avoid as much as possible due to the fear and anguish it causes, that is why I am having a hard time keeping myself together right now, the only thing I can say is that the meaning of life and why good people part too soon, has never been quite clear to me and perhaps it will never be.

What I have learnt from these undesired tragedies is that through shared pain and angst, people come together and support and some reconnect. I cannot find suitable words to alleviate K's pain and I most definitely cannot bring her son back. All I can do is give her my unconditional support and be better at keeping in touch more frequently.

I've always believed that great friendships will never wither, that is why I was taken aback and hurt when I witnessed two of my best friends in Sacramento fall out a few years ago. That frail relationship was scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged and completely shattered.
I knew that deep down they loved each other and never meant to put a halt to the relationship that way. True, the past is long gone and what matters now is that they will make up. 
My soul rests at ease because of this but I would've rather liked it to happen under other circumstances. Relationships are a roller coaster, yet true friends, real loves, and genuine bonds are unbreakable. 

Throughout our journey, every single person pays a brief or long visit drifting just as quickly, yet only the everlasting connections will be there till the end of time. The reason behind it all is to teach us a lesson. Whether it'd be to break our heart, to bring us joy and happiness, to share their knowledge and unconditional support, to help us heal, or for many other reasons. That is when forgetting and forgiving come into place… before it's too late.
Some of us take things for granted and get driven by resentment, pride, pain blinding ourselves to the value that value has. We neglect to mend the immaculate glass ball lying in our grip.

I like every human being, have hurt many loved ones. What I've done, is to depart and never looked back. The reason to such actions? "That particular person does not want to ever see me again, there is not another chance for us." 
That is the exact case with my two friends but I was certain that they were destined to reconnect and let sleeping dogs lie. Amidst a tragedy their friendship will prevail once again for them to provide each other unlimited love and understanding. 

It is easy for me to say this but one day sooner rather than later, K will be able
to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Long ago, I learnt not to think about tomorrow, just live  today, this second and spread nothing but love to the ones I care about because we are nothing and life is only an instant drifting through our hands. 

No comments: