Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My toughest opponent


My toughest opponent
February 12, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


At exactly 8pm, coming back from the gym, my phone rang…It was Phillip Bailey, an Australian writer and Tequila business owner I met in March 2012 at the Primer Foro de Agave. It was an event in which different tequila distillery owners were invited to come to an agreement and decide whether or not to continue the traditional manufacturing process of tequila. This is a very broad issue that I won't discuss because there are a lot of gray areas that only those in this field can narrate accurately. 

That day I was meant to interview two or three tequila experts for '"The Road to Tequila," a documentary about the legend of tequila that is in the final stage. The event took place first thing on a Monday morning, and the prior Saturday, I got a call from one of the organizers asking if I could be the interpreter to deliver the message to the international attendees. I followed the normal procedure by asking him for the required material to study (it is very essential in order for an Interpreter to ger familiarized with the terminology in both languages and deliver better quality). Nonetheless, they didn't have a single paragraph to provide. He assured it'd be a small round table and that there would not be any technical terms whatsoever.

That comforted me till I arrived to the newly built Juan Jose Arreola library in Zapopan where the event took place. I came close to flipping when I opened the door for a number of reasons:
1) The huge room was full of people.
2) They didn't have the right equipment: cabin, headphones, microphone, NOTHING!
3) They had me sit down right next to the person presenting.

By that time, I was ready to die considering that I have NEVER been a good public speaker. I abhor getting in front of a crowd. I wanted to scream for someone to bring me a batman mask but I surprisingly managed to keep a cool posture. 

Facing all those obstacles against my favor was not easy at the beginning, that's why during the first break I leaped to get two shots of tequila to relax. Just when I reached out for the first one, Phillip Bailey approached me to introduce himself. He patted me on the back and told me I was doing a great job. That comment came in perfect because I am always my worst hangman. I always grow doubt and fear in my mind no matter how well I do. 

After such a long and intense day, about ten of us went on to this pulqueria somewhere in town to wrap up the night. So Phil and I started chatting about all our work and it turned out that he is writing a book about the history of tequila. He couldn't have left out Goddess Mayahuel y los 400 Conejos, and that's where I came in.

With a long trajectory of modeling, sporting and health and fitness events, I tailored his needs. We agreed to do the original photo shoot in October later postponing it to February. With this said, February 19 is THE chosen day. In reality, I would've rather done it in July or August when I was getting to my fittest level ever but I guess we can't have it all in life.

Right now, as I enter the rabbit hole, I am somewhat excited, nervous, surprised, but MORE than anything, unready, and insecure… 
As a result of the long torturing six months of idle time due to my injury, I was unable to hit the gym or do whatsoever any type of physical movement. By means of this, I am my toughest opponent. When I look at myself, I tell Gina Yoryet, "You are not ready, you are at your lowest ever physically, don't do it, perhaps you should put it off till a "better time,"

Then I try to hush the martyrizing opponent of mine and try to focus on the positive aspect of this unique opportunity that perhaps won't re-appear again. I try to center my mind in "me," four weeks ago at my re-appearance at the gym. I have trimmed down a little, I feel cleaner and lighter and though I am not at 100%, I am scratching an 80%.

From here until THE day, I will eat clean, absolutely 0 low quality or greasy food, hit the gym another three days this week, and squeeze in a brisk walk on my days off to fight back the toughest and most critical counteragent within...

No comments: