Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Latina persuasion

The Latina persuasion
March 3rd, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



One of the most impelling pieces of being a member of Latina Leadership Network when I lived in Sacramento, was seeing many Latino women gathered fighting for the same dream: To be acknowledged and valued in society not only as women, but as Latinas, part of a minority group. 

Cypress Hill's Armada Latina video is among one of my favorites because it makes me reminiscence of the good 'ole days when my friends, sisters and I attended numerous car shows and Latino festivals all over the bay area. It hit right at home when I scanned the streets full of Latinos, the animated music, the bright colors everywhere and even more when savoring the exquisite 'antojitos.'

Coming to a place full of Latinas (I don't like the term hispanic because we are not HIS panic, HER panic, nor ANYBODY's panic) has always been very adrenalizing because no matter how different we may be, at the end of the day we are one mind, one dream, one culture, one whole, a sisterhood sharing the same goals and values. 

Those aspirations include, building an intact self-confidence, being healthy, fit, good-looking, attractive and sexy, yes even that! To this day, I've never met a single female who does NOT want to be THe flaming hot woman walking down the street with everyone's eyes locked on her.
Whenever I am lucky to meet a new Latina, an overly important MUST to discuss, is health and fitness. The how to's of adapting and holding on to a clean, light and transparent, permanent lifestyle, NOT only trying a momentary fad diet such as the South-beach, the Mediterranean and several other ones.  

For instance today, I got together with a Tequila guru who I will possibly work with in future events/projects. He brought a group of bar/restaurant owners and bartenders to visit his distillery. Amid the crowd, I met E. C., a radiant Latina who from the minute I spotted her, could tell she works out! After breaking the ice, we started talking about health…and fitness straight off the bat. Another wellness enthusiast, just like me! We exchanged contact information to send each other motivational messages to keep our drive. 

Meeting such well-kept Latinas is inspiring for my formation. It takes me back to my childhood and most of my adolescence. As the insecure, chubby and boyish looking little girl I was, I lacked self-confidence, self-acceptance, was very critical and self-conscious.

That is the main reason why I established a durable affair with health and fitness…
That is why physical wellness is an utterly important way of living that defines who I am…
Who I am, defines my knowledge and desire to help other Latinas and women in general, to reach their goal… that Latina persuasion is what helps me identify myself with other women and fight against all the impending mental obstacles floating inside that we have to battle against: Lack of self-acceptance, harsh criticism for even the most insignificant things…Accepting me for who I am and for what my body can do and create, and meeting more Latina warriors, is what makes me more determined to strive higher and get closer to my goal. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, love your article!