Sunday, March 24, 2013

My writing affair


My writing affair
March 24, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




Speaking, writing, thinking, reading, fully understanding, and functioning in a language not of my own, didn’t come natural to me at the get-go but I was not put off. I instead retaliated by engaging in consistent voluntary labors to augment my knowledge in the English language to be able to master it at a crystal-clear level (I am not at a 100% yet and I don’t think anybody will ever reach that 100, not even in their native language because languages are so extensive).  
Looking back at the timid and introverted me at the age of 10 or 11, when I started speaking English, I can vividly see myself uttering my first words in a foreign language “the cat coffee,” amongst many other two-word out of sequence sentences. One of the biggest obstacles I had to overcome, was placing my adjectives first in English, ‘the red cars,’ and remember that nouns are the ones that indicate plurality, as opposed to Spanish. ‘Los coches rojos.’ The noun takes the first place, followed by the adejctive and both have to be pluralized when referring to more than one. On top of that, there is the article which is either ‘la,’ or ‘lo,’ to identify a feminine or masculine noun, unlike English. Everything is either, ‘a,’ or ‘an,’ or ‘the,’ which at least this part, makes life simple.  

Thereupon when the affair with my second language was initiated, I was caught in a never ending labyrinth unable to find a way out, on the grounds of not having the right frame of mind to even get to the right place to begin with! I alternatively didn’t preoccupy myself with that unimportant matter at such young age so I nonchalantly let myself flow, enjoy my childhood and communicate however it pleased me. 

That early age was to mark my ‘alpha,’ the beginning of an avocation...I was to become passionate about (more so the older I get). My writing kick off got started somewhat like this. A little notebook was always placed in my backpack ready to be pulled out everywhere I went, to jot down notes, thoughts, reflections, feelings, and anything that came up to my indefatigable and busy little mind. As time progressed, that notepad was replaced with a diary which became my most faithful companion. At this point, the number of journals and where they’ve ended up, is unbeknownst to me. All I know, is that traces of my writing have been left somewhere along the line, spreading a little touch of my essence. 

Later in High School and college I always looked forward to my advanced writing courses. Essay writing was not my cup of tea, unlike assignments where we could write about anything we wanted. Despite not A’cing a single one of my writings, doing fairly well was the fuel that kept me going. That mission went on for many years although even in my wildest desires did I dream or think of writing professionally until my arrival to Guadalajara. 

In 2008-2009, when I worked teaching English as a volunteer at AMSOC (The American Society of Jalisco), I learned of ‘La Voz,’ The Voice, their monthly newsletter. I asked one of the members of the board if I could collaborate as a writer, he asked to see some samples of my work which made me nervous since they were very scarce. As the steadfast, challenging and competitive woman I always thrive to be, I quickly wrote another two or three articles to add on to my profile and became part of the writer's team of La Voz.

A few months later, I decided to go on a higher quest in order for me to grow professionally. I looked for local newspapers, magazines, or other resources to demand more of me. I once again, wrote another few audacious articles to ‘impress’ the Chief Editors I had contacted. I met J. K. head of the Lake Chapala Review, the overall turnout was quite pleasing. The first article I was asked to write, was an introductory bio of me which was immediately done. So to speak, as an amateur writer, I was a nerve wrack because I thought I was going to run out of ideas. Little did I know that once I got started, one idea would flow right into the next, the one after and many more.

‘Living in my two worlds,’ ‘Teaching inglés con spice,’ ‘Celebrating Mother’s Day in Mexico,’ ‘A. W. interview,’ were some of my articles. I always believed they were the bomb until this day when I look through them from time to time. A few years later, having gained more experience, I now trash my own work like a professional writer friend of mine did when I met with her to get some feedback of one of my first articles. I walked out of her place my face burning red because my so called master piece that had taken me a long time to put together, had just been completely shattered. 

As a writer for The Lake Chapala Review and Mexico insights, I was now responsible of coming up with constant ideas for articles. This huge responsibility marked a higher demand of me. I was honestly extremely overwhelmed but I was not about to give in to that challenge.

From thereon, I’ve forced myself to take writing more seriously to at least scratch a greater level. I’ve read various books, essays, newspapers, magazines, blogs, to get familiar with each writing style, I’ve chatted and gotten feedback from other writers, I’ve taught advanced writing courses and workshops to High School students and professionals, I’ve purchased my writing bibles: ‘What a Writer Needs,’ By Ralph Fletcher, ‘Writing with Style,’ By Sue Young, ‘Rules for Writers,’ By Diana Hacker, and ‘Proofreading Handbook,’ Second Edition, McGraw Hill, By Laura Anderson. I’ve forced myself to improve with the aforementioned resources along with my jobs combined that are very vast and which are always boosting me to learn about a million topics. 

In view of my persistence, I’ve been offered a few writing assignments that have been forsaken because I was either not ready, the timing was not right, there were other professional priorities, because I was not familiar with the required topic/s, or because my potential client/s is/are not ready. 

All in all, my love for writing has accounted to the following:

1) 2008-2009: La Voz The American Society of Jalisco
2) 2009:  The Lake Chapala Review
3) 2009-2011: Research and collaboration with other online magazines and newspapers
  1. 2009 - 2013: My blog - Gina Yoryet Roman (a more personalized writing that mirrors my daily life, drives and passions).
I’ve received invitations from these online magazines and/or clients:
  1. October 15, 2009, I was invited by Foreign Exchange Translations to write about pharmaceuticals, medical devices, health care & language technology. I can’t deny being overly enthused but I had to give this one a go because of the mere fact of knowing close to nothing about these topics. 
  2. One of my clients invited me to write his company biography. I immediately said, “YES,” to this one in a lifetime opportunity but it is on standby. I would have to get the green light from my client.  
  3. I recently had a conference meeting with Self-Growth, an online magazine to collaborate in their book titled, ‘101 Great Ways to Compete in Today’s Job Market, for Riklan Resources LLC,” I didn’t even hesitate to say yes to this offer but sadly for me, the turn out was not positive due to the fact that it was an unpaid assignment on top of other reasons that didn’t favor me. Not making money was not the biggest disappointment since I wanted to get my name out there but there was a stronger acumen for that. 

Even after not pursuing most of the just mentioned writing propositions, I’d like to think that they are/were not meant to be. If I am meant to do something, it’ll have to be something that I am a lot more passionate about, whcih will be my drive forever. At least I am now at a point of getting a sense of being wanted. Nothing beats that feeling. Whilst I get more offers, I will continue forging myself into a better writer and will keep adding on more to my blog. I will never be like Walter Isaacson, Ayn Rand, or any acclaimed writer, but I am not trying to be. 

My affair is different, it started like this...

Long ago, when I was a little girl, my love for writing emanated from my surroundings. Coming from a very close-knit Mexican family, there were many forbidden topics and taboos, that’s when I confessed everything to my diary by writing it down. I guarded those words with my life to keep my parents from finding them. I decided to put writing on my top list of hobbies for the mere fact of being secretive...
It later became some sort of therapy..
Then it turned into a passion...
After that, it’s defined who I am...
It will later sprout into something bigger...
Writing has seen me develop into the woman I’ve become, it’s formed and defined the “I,” now. That is why I will always gift myself with the greatest presents one can give to oneself:..
Writing, reading, working out, praying, volunteer work and working. 


I now write when I’m happy or  down in the dumps, when I want to confess something and no one is around, when I am getting ready for a challenge, when I start a new writing course. And when I want to think, reflect, and let it all out. When I am heart broken or in love. 
My hobby, has turned into a habit, a lifestyle, one of my sanctuaries that I will never leave nor forsake, whether I write professionally or not.....

No comments: