Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insist, Resist persist


Insist, Resist persist
August 1st, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román



How to stay afloat professionally, personally, emotionally and financially? With this excellent formula: Insist, resist persist with a mix of time, energy, effort and focus. Even if I may be bent temporarily, I will never be permanently broken. There will always be a shot of motivation by my loved ones, shrug my shoulders and proceed in this game called life.

Summers are always a slow season work wise so a ‘forced’ vacation is a must. I’ve never been one to take more than 10 days off at once because insanity hits that’s why my loyal friends are always standing right by me; my workout gear, one or two good books, my laptop, camera, radio or a small writing pad in case the chance to interview someone comes up.

Taking time off is ok though I am not a traveling spirit anymore. True, it is relaxing but in reality I miss work, the adrenaline of the rush hours, I feel incomplete when I am not nurturing my mind with more fitness matters or breaking a sweat at the gym, I feel an empty void when there’s nothing to investigate, I get extremely anxious when I am not increasing my knowledge, something is missing when I am not working at an expo or brushing up on my interpretation skills

Normally the summer, Christmas, Easter and National holidays are time off for everyone so they part to the beach, to a quiet and relaxing rendezvous or they escape from the overwhelming city. Unlike me; Holidays are a time to plan, strategize and work on my professional profile. I take advantage of that time to get updated professionally, I take more time to read and meditate or do volunteer work which is on my top list during breaks.

When I randomly gaze at my CV, this thought keeps revolving in my mind, “It’s missing something, I still got a long way to go.”
It makes me feel insecure when starting a new project and my clients ask to see my professional profile. That feeling only lasts until I get comforting accolades like these:

“Thank you for your reply. Your resumé is very impressive. I am reluctant to say overly qualified. Your skills and connections are impressive.”

“I’ve gotten a few replies to my work enquiry and let me say that some are very professional but none come close to you. I am very impressed with your professional profile.”

“How did you become so disciplined? You should be an auditor.” Someone implied last week. “Auditors are very precise and thorough so you’d be great doing that.” And the next thing I get is a potential offer to write a book in Spaaaniiiish!

It was very flattering and it fed my ego but at the same time it’s nerve-wracking because I’ve only written very few things in Spanish, I honestly don’t feel confident enough but I am ready for a new professional challenge. The reason why it’s daunting it’s because not a single day have I considered myself a writer…
Let’s say that I am an expressive being who projects her thoughts through writing.

Whatever it takes though I am ready so what is there to do? Apply these principles: Insist, resist and persist with an exquisite mix of: time, energy, effort and focus.

“I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.”
Georgia O'Keeffe

No comments: