Thursday, August 23, 2012

Discipline doesn’t have to hurt


Discipline doesn’t have to hurt
August 23rd, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román



When my gym had recently inaugurated, it was promoting through a local radio station to bring in more clients. One morning while I was briefly interviewed, the radio talk person inquired, “What is your drive to exercise regularly?” I answered, “I have been doing it for half of my existence so it’s become a lifestyle.” Within a few seconds the phone lines were open for interrogations and the first caller, a young lady immediately bombarded me with questions but the most significant one was, “How can you be so devoted? I have started and given up many times and tried every single diet out there at no avail.” My answer was, “It’s very simple, all you have to do is set your mind, heart and soul into it and commit, sacrifice and DISCIPLINE to achieve your goals.” To that she responded, “But I am not strong enough to commit because discipline is very painful.”
I snapped and replied, “You are hesitating so what that means is that you don’t really want it, if you don’t do whatever it takes to get it, you don’t desire it with all your might.”

As of lately my own words keep haunting me and I have to bite my tongue every couple of seconds when I’m ready to curse myself for being so inattentive with the best I gift I was blessed with…
My engine, the temple I should’ve cherished from the moment I was capable of doing so.
As I watch my fingers type, this thought keeps beating into my head, “I want to escape the prison of my own making, the prison of pain I incarcerated myself in.” As much as I may have wanted to stop it, I clearly didn’t want it badly enough, I dragged it for too long and now I am seeing the results.

All along I made myself believe that I was well acquainted with my body and its needs and that I had corrected molded and perfected my mental faculties and moral character to NOT give in to weaknesses or injuries. I was under the impression that I had AMAZING self-control gained by enforcing obedience or order of my body but deep down I didn’t as I failed to hold on to discipline and follow my inner voice, I lacked the mental discipline and patience to seek for help and get informed much earlier.

Right now I feel my self-power drifting through my hands and I don’t know how to regain it. I am peering down at myself and scowling Gina angrily. This feeling will only last until the next day though, tomorrow is the day I am dreading yet I will lie awake all night anxiously to know the dictating results of whether or not I set foot into the slaughter house. Ha, ha! Surgeries were always regarded as a far away mirage but now I am one step from submerging into an operation room within a matter of hours.

Whatever happens though, I am certain to witness the promise of a new day without feeling this disturbing distress that is robbing me from mental and physical harmony. I will surrender to discipline because through it I will experience the reward of peace and reconciliation with my body.
I am well aware that many times we all have to make a pause, momentarily give up what we like and do things that we don’t like but in the end discipline molds and shapes our character and it doesn’t have to hurt the same way untaken actions and the outcome do, like that young radio caller implied.



God bless!

No comments: