Monday, August 13, 2012

Diet and fitness goals 4 this week


Diet and fitness goals 4 this week
August 13, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román




For the last fourteen years I’ve been truly devoted to my workout journal that once started as my running diary. But as the failing woman I am, I’ve NEVER followed a strict diet nor have I kept a diet journal. One of the reasons why I’ve held on to my workout journal for that long is because it pressures me so what’s worked for a while is to record my workouts in advance so I can feel guilty when I skip one of them.

Although I have a tendency to be very strict and considering my workouts as my sanctuary, there are times when I definitely slack, I miss two or three days because I am overwhelmed. Despite this, I try to at least squeeze in a thirty to forty minute brisk walk to avoid the pounds from creeping into my muffin top (I wish they’d crawled into my rack so I’d have a good size cleavage by now) LOL!

I figure since I have a photo session coming up in October; I was invited to be Mayahuel, the Goddess of Tequila, I better be pretty trim because I don’t want to be the gordibuena (chubby) version of her.

Therefore, now is the time to set weekly diets goals:

1)   Don’t count my calories otherwise I’d be one step from falling into Orthorexia nervosa which is used to characterize people who develop an obsession with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthy. This focus may turn into a fixation so extreme that it can lead to severe malnutrition or even death. Even in less severe cases, the attempt to follow a diet that cannot provide adequate nourishment is said to lower self-esteem as the orthorexics blame themselves rather than their diets for their constant hunger and the resulting cravings for forbidden foods. According to extreme dieters, they only eat the necessary calories according to the weight so let’s say I weight 51 kilos. The number of daily calories my body needs to consume are 1,224. That is too extreme for me, I eat twice or three times as much so this is my number one goal to set.

2)   Avoid all kinds of junk; cookies, bread, sweets, potato chips, candy, fried food, etc. So avoid doing mindless, emotional, unnecessary, compulsive eating.

3)   Have two meals a day, I’ll consider three. Some choose to eat five meals a day to keep their system full and avoid stuffing themselves with unnecessary low quality food.

4)   Eat more protein, fruits and veggies.

5)   Only have one free day; have one small scoop of frozen yogurt or ice cream or a coke – I love coke and hate low cal, low fat or diet sodas so I’ll stick to the REAL thing.

6)   And last but not least, workout four or five days or at least do a power walk when I skip the gym…
As the gym rat I am though, I will make it four days this week!

No comments: