Thursday, July 25, 2013

The good, the bad and the ugly


The good, the bad and the ugly...
of health and fitness
Original post written on
July 14, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet




Might as well enjoy the good while it lasts, and once it’s over-with, tell yourself, “Been there, done that, now it’s about redirecting priorities. Those intense and high-rendering trainings prior to competition are long gone.”

Fifteen years ago I only knew the good side of health and fitness: Youth, fun, never-running out energy, stamina, competition, hard-core training, injury free days, victory, celebration, recognition, strength and power. I was at my highest physical level for a long time, even five years ago my energy level was crazy out of control, I trained, competed, partied, I had fun, faced challenge, trained, competed without running my batteries out. I was much younger, responsibilities and demands were very scarce other than school, my job and one or two other small tasks here and there. That one in a lifetime opportunity pushed me to pursue one of my passions and that was the beginning of my fitness affair. 

During those years I only enjoyed running, training and competing without any concern of getting hurt physically. Back then I was oblivious to the long term consequences such as aging and injuries (due to all the abuse against my own body) since I was an amateur trying to conquer the world with my youth.

Years later, I learned the ‘bad,’ or not so good aspect of fitness. My responsibilities tripled, I had a hard time controlling my cravings, I put on weight at the blink of an eye (I still do, that’s why I have to keep moving constantly), there were many ‘distractions,’ but I was forced to choose. The right side of my brain told me stick to discipline and focus, yet my left side tortured me to give in to my cravings, to not train so hard and go with my instincts and enjoy life and my youth. I also learned that fitness was NO longer my priority so in order to have ‘me’ time, those work outs would have to be scheduled either at the crack of dawn, or after eight or nine pm after wrapping up all my other duties. Things have not had come easy when adjusting my exercise routines to my overwhelming schedule, there’s a sacrifice to pay and it may not always be pretty but I’ve been aware and willing to put time, energy, effort, focus, discipline, some money, resistance and persistence into it for me to reach long term gain. 

After college my affair went on to long distance running. Long after I had started performing 21 and 42.1k’s, I became acquainted with the ‘ugly’ side of high-intensity routines (there’s really not a bad or ugly part to fitness). One injury here and there which I thought it had more to do with a small mistake from my end but it never escalated to anything serious. Little did I know that fate had something in store for me that would make my life over turn entirely forever. On June 15, 2009 I underwent the most impacting and unexpected accidents that changed my life entirely, I hope not forever. After that car wreck my performance deteriorated because of the pain on my left knee which was impacted very hardly. Everything happened so quickly but I still recall a very particular moment in my mind when I heard small pieces of bone shatter within. I didn’t think I’d make it alive from that incident but I did. My body has never been the same after that. Some days I try to forget it but the still existing pain on my knee reminds me of that day. I have not been able to run, the pain has never subsided and the love for running is now a mix of love, fear and hate. 

My love for running will always be there. Had I not gotten injured and if I were given the choice, I’d be a runner all my life, I’d train not only for a 42.1k but I’d go for a 50k and an ultra-marathon, and then I’d target a triathlon and the iron man. I’d still go M. I. A. up in the mountains amidst the storm to unwind. 

I never thought I’d be terrified of running but I am, I am at a place where I dread even trotting for five minutes on the treadmill because I won’t be able to withstand the pain and I am not physically strong enough to bear it anymore. That fear was developed after that life marking accident, and more so post surgery because the discomfort has never fully absconded. 

Despite my fear I hate not being able to do an activity I vowed down to, for many years. I hate being unable to perform a full routine because I am very limited. I cannot jump or do any high impact moves. Over all, I am happy that I will be able to run one day sooner rather than later, I am still whole and I am not rushing because there’s plenty of time to be healthy. I know that the same way there’s the good, the bad and the ugly of health and fitness or athletics, all our existence is mirrored upon those principles. Playing sports, being a business owner, human relationships, our whole existence, revolve around ups and downs. 

At the end of the day, the bleak side doesn’t matter, what’s of higher importance, is how we react to it and the wisdom acquired from it all. Therefore, I am very glad to be familiarized with it and to have accepted and adapted myself according to my physical limitations because I will NEVER let go of my healthy lifestyle. I am defined by my ABC’s:

No comments: