Thursday, July 25, 2013

Growing old


Growing old
Original post written on
July 6, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



Just a few days ago, a graphic designer friend of mine and I got together to make some changes to my blog. The main idea was to adapt it and align a few aspects to show a more transparent me who mirrors my passions . The first thing to go was the description, “A Mexican American woman...” My new and prompt description was, my abc’s Gina Yoryet:  Spirituality, work and business ethics, health and fitness, charity work, reading, playing with words, reflecting and embracing the simplicity of life...

These two lines are what I live for, BUT since this was such an impromptu thought, there was something left out in one of my musts haves in life. ‘Family!’ I’ve told a few friends and pointed it out in a few of my posts that kinship is the core of one’s soul. I have very warm and tender memories of my siblings while growing up and I still cherish the craze at home when we all sat down to enjoy an exquisite home made meal carefully prepared by two loving hands. By the end of the day it felt as if a Tsunami had just torn down the entire house, I don’t know how my poor mother managed to handle all of us crazy and energized little ones.

There were moments when we got feisty and catty and even punched and scratched one other but I like to think of it as a sign of affection. One of the most exciting parts of having five girls in the family was that we all shared our clothes and sometimes our shoes. All five of us are pretty close in height, size and weight and although we are all very unique in our own way, we all resemble each other. Once we manage to get together, I am determined to have a girl’s night out, the six of us, S, M, T, L, mom and I, so we can have a ton of fun and catch those counted moments on camera. 

HR1, HR2, and HR3 were the manly figures we girls looked up to since they are the oldest ones of our clan. Unlike the women, they were very laid back, all they focused on was soccer and watching tv. We girls were a tornado, that’s why my brothers couldn’t handle us. Ha, ha! HR2 was my gym buddy for many years until he started dating. HR3, HR1 and I shared our passion for soccer and other sports. 

I could go on and on telling about all those fond memories but I will need more time and focus. A few weeks ago, I was telling my youngest sister that family is very important, friends can come and go for a set period of time but sisters and family will always be there. I also told her that everything grows old; humans grow old, things grow old, many things grow old, time runs out, but family never will. One day when/if we make it to 70, 80, I would love to sit down with all of them to revive all those beautiful moments like in illo tempore to see that despite having grown physically and mentally, our family and love will NEVER grow old or wither. 

It's sad to see broken or distanced families. I will never understand why and how that happens...




To the outside world we all grow old.
But not to brothers and sisters.
We know each other as we always were.
We know each other's hearts.
We share private family jokes.
We remember family feuds and secrets,
family griefs and joys.
We live outside the touch of time.
By Clara Ortega

No comments: