Monday, July 29, 2013

Sharing a young woman's dream


Sharing a young 
woman’s dream
July 29, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



This past Friday I met with O. E., a friend and prior student of mine, and his 14 year old niece, C. E. N. who is coming close to turning fifteen. Los quince may be just another number for many, unlike for young Mexican women and young ladies in other Latin American cultures. The reason why three times five is of such high importance in many places is because this phase marks the transition from childhood to womanhood. A huge party is usually held to introduce the blossoming woman to society. The dresses quinceañeras wear are very bride like, they only differentiate because of the variation in colors. 

O, being concerned reached out to my health and fitness expertise and stated that C. is very thrilled about her upcoming party on March 2014 BUT she is overweight and wants to trim down to boost her confidence and look good.

My first reaction was, “I am ready for the challenge and I am flattered that people are putting their trust in me.”

Here´s what I did next:
Step 1: Put on a health questionnaire, filled in all the information and had a look at the photos they sent me to narrow down the areas that need more work.
Step 2. Once that was done, I put on a basic diet plan and exercise routine.
Step 3: Met with them to go over the questionnaire, and emphasize the importance to them. “If you want it with all your heart, mind and soul, you will make it happen, I will only be guiding you but the solution lies within you.” 
Step 4: Schedule meeting number 2, to record any progress made  (Meeting # 2: August 16) 

What I didn’t reveal to O. and Catherine is that we are all one who will reach our goal because team work makes the dream work. Their efforts are a shot in the arm for me, the right fuel to lift me up and push myself more, especially now that I am reaching the end of the road to recovery. Every time someone seeks me for advice, they are oblivious to the fact that as opposed to me being their motivation, they are mine. 

This principle does not only apply to health and fitness, when two or more individuals work together, the strength of UNITY makes us want to push harder. The laws of GIVING, GRATITUDE, RESPONSIBILITY and PATIENCE, are essential to reach our goal and unless we have our loved ones to share our triumphs, life can be pointless. 

Therefore, I am blessed to share my knowledge, time, expertise, discipline and focus and live and share a young woman’s illusion. We will celebrate our victory pretty soon! That is why I am more than happy to lead her and walk with her hand in hand from day one till the last moment of this tough phase. In early March when our results can be seen, I will pride myself and encourage her to be an example to other young girls who are undergoing through the same experience. 

She has a whole life ahead and now is a good day for a NEW beginning. When someone inquires her, “Can you describe in a five-word sentence what it takes to attain my objective and turn my dream into a reality?” 


Focus, discipline, persistence and INCREDIBLE SELF-CONTROL. 

“My body is my most valuable asset and if it doesn’t function properly, nothing else will.” 
By: Gina Yoryet Roman 
May 2009 Health & Fitness interview.

No comments: