Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Small things make a BIG difference


Small things make a BIG difference
November 27, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


Martha Debayle, a Paraguayan and very important female figure and one of the highest professionally achieving women in Mexico says a catchy phrase in one of her many commercials. "Me gusta ver, pero más me gusta ser vista, me gusta regalar, pero más me gusta que me regalen, me gusta halagar pero más me gusta ser halagada," Meaning, "I like to admire others but I'd rather be admired, I like to give presents to others but I'd rather be gifted, I like to compliment others, but I'd rather be complimented."

That scenario befits 100% of the population worldwide. We like to be admired, gifted, complimented, and acknowledged yet many times we dislike to reciprocate.

I reckon that being treated nicely by others is a wonderful feeling but more so, to receive presents from everyone. All my life I have received more than what I have ever given. With so much idle time lately this random thought has knocked on my head, which leaves me in awe because I'd need two or three life spans to make up all the love, affection and kindness that I've been received.

By chance I've been the spoiled one (not the youngest) of all my siblings. As far back as my mind can travel, everyone in my family has gone out of their way to make me happy that I could never pay back all those materialistic and spiritual gifts. 

Pondering upon all those deeds and goodies, I've come to the realization that it is like they say, "It is not  the trips to New York, the ridiculously flashy jewelry, the brand shoes or clothes, the costly perfume, or the outrageously exotic weekend home, the VIP I know, the luxury cars, the moments at the spa or the high maintenance beauty products."

The real significance of life is the small things that make BIG things. Nothing beats a serene chat with one of my sisters or with a close friend. It is priceless meeting someone and them becomin a part of your life disinterestedly. The small thus BIG things that make a strong impact in one's existence.

For instance throughout my moments of physical pain (as much as I always complain of the lack of friends in Guadalajara), several friends, work colleagues, clients and family members have visited, called to wish me well being. This sense of loneliness and emptiness had been lingering around for a rather long time for not having "enough" friends but I was proved wrong. 

Another big deed with a HUGE meaning was last week when a friend of mine went with me to IMMS (Mexico's Social Security Institute) to claim my disability. She arrived at 6:30am sharp. Who is detached from their bed at an early just to go sit at a clinic all morning long? Once we arrived, I couldn't go upstairs to see my doctor, therefore my friend kept running up and down to check that they didn't skip me. After awaiting for three and a half hours and after the tenth time M. G. had gone up and back down, my doctor finally came down.

What I appreciated the most was that M. G. speaks very little Spanish, even with this communication issue she was able to convey  my message to my doctor and vice versa.

That warm act was the highlight of my day!
And other generous and caring actions others have done for me without asking for anything in return are what give my existence a real meaning.

No comments: