Sunday, January 26, 2014

Unlimited opportunities


Unlimited opportunities
January 26, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet


Today is the second anniversary of my grandmother Mary Lou’s death. I don’t know if this had to do with my mood swing and lack of energy until I talked to grandpa on the phone. Yesterday I was very hyped up and felt amazingly well unlike today. I was doing my best to not be down in the dumps this day but I couldn’t help it. During mass while I listened to homily, my mind wandered to the last time I saw her and a few tears rolled down my cheeks. When I talked to grandpa I was surprised to hear his very positive voice cheering me up. 

I had imagined that he’d be weeping like he has the other times we’ve talked and I’d be the one trying to soothe his soul but he wasn’t. I love conversing with him because he is one of the most loving, understanding comforting and supportive people I have ever known. Just when I feel like I’m about to throw in the towel, he tells me that he’s very proud of me for coming a long way. Even at eighteen when I used to work as a hostess where he used to have breakfast every Sunday after mass, when I was young and immature and when my future was so bleak, he was able to see right through and put his full trust in me. 

That was the first time anyone ever believed in me and determine that I was going to be very successful. He tells me that I have accomplished a lot despite life’s setbacks and that he’s always known that I would reach and accomplish higher goals as I got older. Despite this I feel like I am not even halfway as there are many things lying ahead. 

Only when I have consummated everything that I have wanted in life, I will see that there are unlimited opportunities for me like he says. “Do you realize how much talent you have young lady,” he asks me. I laugh and reply, “sort of!” His assuring voice and praying are the only ways I can compose myself when I am feeling fearful. 

Other times I am well aware that there are unlimited opportunities for some people more than for others and deep down I know that I belong in the more fortunate ones category. In the meantime I am working towards that and biding my time for the right time and place for my passion to reveal my purpose...





No comments: