Sunday, January 19, 2014

A special guest


A special guest
January 19, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


On our way back from church this afternoon, we ran into Father Romo and one of the priests in training. When he saw us carrying a few plastic bags with groceries, he offered us a ride (we always walk to the temple as it is only a 20 minute walk), and we nodded yes, immediately.  During our ride I asked them if they had already had lunch and they both said, “no.” “Oh Lord, it’s too late, you must be really hungry, want to come over to our place? we can fix something quickly.” I asked. “ok,” they answered with a wide smile on their face. 

During our ride I was thinking about how selfish I tend to be sometimes. For example when I was walking I was telling myself, “I can’t wait to get home and hop into bed, I am so tired, my knee hurts and I can’t handle this pain anymore!.” But I felt revived when they accepted our invitation and I momentarily forgot about my feelings and physical issues. The power of kindness overturns our mind towards another direction, that of others’ needs and suffering and it entices us to add the unique spice of love to simple actions. 

When I was cooking I looked at their hungry faces through the corner of my eyes and felt comforted for being useful and providing for two hungry people who cleanse our souls and do so much for their community. I felt very blessed for having such special guests join us on such quiet day. Giving back and doing something for my priests and our church has always worked when I have to tend to my feelings. Just when our society overwhelms me, I seek for them to regain peace, quiet and emotional balance and I find it. 

Since I was sixteen years old when my voluntary affair initiated, not only did I bond with the needs and hardships of others, I enjoyed doing small things for them because those small details are what make a difference in someone’s life. Even back then when I was a teenager, I said to myself. “if I don’t become successful, I will become a nun to do charity work and help feed those hungry souls.” The final word hasn’t been said, like I said on my previous post, “I have not heard God’s calling yet, or perhaps I am too oblivious to let it happen. 

Regardless of whether or not my destiny is to become a nun, I will always provide food and warmth for the special guests at my fraternity...

No comments: