Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Restrengthening my temple



Restrengthening my temple
January 7, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman







I no longer recall how long it’s been since I last went to the gym. When I used to keep track, one day sans working out felt like an eternity. Looking through my workout journals, I  reached out for the 2011 one when I was getting close to my best shape ever.

Life now is like this:

All through 2013 I felt weak, over my normal weight, ate A LOT more than I should have,  didn’t hit the gym and missed a lot of power walk days. I impressively didn’t become impatient or frustrated, not after having undergone a never ending hiatus. Although I was always very aware that 2014 would be a new beginning, without EXCUSES, with the promise of a new year and another opportunity of life.

Wrapping up 2013 my motivation went stray and I couldn’t pin down discipline, the incredible self-control I sometimes boast about, and predetermination (I couldn’t find a reason to write, didn’t find it necessary to work out, and thought it was pointless to pray when most of my prayers have gone ‘unanswered’). Part of it had to do with the loss of granny Mary Lou White on January 26, 2011. That ill-fated day is around the corner that’s why I told myself that grandpa Hal needs more support and I am going to call him twice a week every week. When I talked to him the other night, I could barely get a glimpse of the words he was grumbling out, I got choked up that I couldn’t put my feelings into words. Hearing him weep over the phone enfeebles me because I cannot undo his sorrow. I will continue praying for his soul to heal some day.

That predicament among another one or two, were wringing out all my energy and focus but I am back on track once again. Grandpa told me, “Every single problem that you have encountered, you have found a solution to Yoryet, you should be proud of everything you have done.” He is one of three people other than my immediate family who believe in me and who have nothing but sweet words for me. 

Now that I finally got a hold of myself and despite not being physically ready because I still have pain on my knee, I will start all over again. Today one of my students made my day and told me that I looked thinner, that was the right shot in the arm I needed! I will take it easy to avoid hurting my body and will build my discipline again. I want to refresh my mind, body and soul to brighten my every day and for me to wear this wide smile!

No comments: