Sunday, January 5, 2014

La importancia de la escritura


Part II
January 5, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


I impatiently and enthusiastically awaited for my chance to broadcast a radio program to emphasize the importance of writing for over a year. That opportunity occurred on November 27, at 105.9 FM radio frequency featuring Adriana Coronado Gil, Simplemente Adriana en Radio.

Earlier last year, the last week of May, after being invited to give ‘What a Writer Needs,’ workshop at ASFG, I was very frantic to continue on reiterating how important writing is. Notably ever since my writing affair started,  I’ve strongly believed that one of the highest values of writing is that it defines one’s character, it reveals the real YOU.

Sadly nowadays not many seem to care about decent and legible writing because they ‘don’t have time’ or because they were not ingrained that value from a very early age on. Neither was I ingrained that value as a child nor as an adult. I developed that love because I really wanted it to happen. Therefore, from the perspective of someone who loves writing, some can say that it comes natural to me. That is NOT true, all my life I have struggled with finding the rights words to express myself. One of the reasons why I started putting my thoughts, ideas and reflexions through this means was because I grew up with a lot of taboos and many topics were forbidden at home. Since I was a little girl I wanted my diary to look nice, pretty and expressive. Later as an adult, I no longer found it relevant to keep confessing my personal matters to my ‘best friend’ (my diary). 

At that point I gave my mind some food for thought and came up with a blog. Back then I still lacked something though; how to express myself more clearly and legibly without sounding redundant. To this day my thesaurus has been one of my most faithful companions every time I post. Through this channel every time I’ve posted, I’ve relied on it to enrich my vocabulary and give more importance to writing by virtue of finding my purpose...

To share and pass on my self-taught abilities to all my young High School, College and University apprentices as well as my adult learners. And form more responsible individuals to help our community, our country our world reflect a better image.

On top of that, writing is important because:


         Writing is the primary basis upon which your work, your learning, and your intellect will be judged—in college, in the workplace, and in the community.
·         Writing expresses who you are as a person.
·         Writing is portable and permanent. It makes your thinking visible.
·         Writing helps you move easily among facts, inferences, and opinions without getting confused—and without confusing your reader.
·         Writing promotes your ability to pose worthwhile questions.
·         Writing fosters your ability to explain a complex position to readers, and to yourself.
·         Writing helps others give you feedback.
·         Writing helps you refine your ideas when you give others feedback.
·         Writing requires that you anticipate your readers’ needs. Your ability to do so demonstrates your intellectual flexibility and maturity.
·         Writing ideas down preserves them so that you can reflect upon them later.
·         Writing out your ideas permits you to evaluate the adequacy of your argument.
·         Writing stimulates you to extend a line of thought beyond your first impressions or gut responses.
·         Writing helps you understand how truth is established in a given discipline.
·         Writing equips you with the communication and thinking skills you need to participate effectively in democracy.
·         Writing is an essential job skill.

No comments: