Friday, September 13, 2013

Resonating with another Athlete’s pain


Resonating with another
Athlete’s pain
September 13, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



I was having thorough thoughts to whether or not post today for a number of reasons; First and foremost, I need to lay low and take advantage of this four day interim because I’ve been undergoing A LOT of stress and tension due to a couple of dead lines. The second reason is that I suddenly lost my train of thought and my ideas are very scarce. And last, I am coming close to another deadline and I am very behind. 

On the other hand, I couldn’t put writing aside for another day because I feel like something’s missing - I mean, it’s only been four days since I last posted but ever since I committed to writing, my need has slowly evolved every day that goes by.

All this week I thought about J. R. M., a 21k runner who reached out to me a few weeks back to inquire about my expertise. His goal is/was to improve his diet, target and train for the 42.1k, and beat his prior times. He heard about me from one of my students, therefore, on the grounds of that, I was somewhat taken aback yet flattered when he called and inquired my professional advice. 

When we met face to face, he was very marveled to the nutritional assessment and all the health and fitness tips I gave him. Many years subsequent to working with different nutritionists, not a single one of them had ever informed him in such depth as I did in only an hour. I asked a few questions, filled out all his information and emailed it back to him along with a very clean diet plan.

After that two weeks, a month went by, I didn’t hear from him. I started getting antsy to know about his physical routine and diet progress but he was still very silent.The next thing I heard was from L. C. J., (the person who put us in contact) this past Tuesday, that last month while doing his early morning run, a boy ran him over with his bike!! I immediately cringed with angst and frustration for him... I instantaneously resonated with him because I’ve been there, done that! “Oh no! I need to call him right now!” I called but he didn’t pick up, texted him, he didn’t respond. When I was about to call him again, he called me. He was fragmentized, frustrated and angry for not being able to meet his goal. Not only will he not be able to do the 42.5 but he can’t even pull off a 5k in a while because of an apparent fracture. 

The first thing he told me was, “Gina, I knew you would understand me perfectly well so that’s why I really wanted to talk to you.” 

I simply let him burst it all out and he felt better right after. 

Two days later I emailed him to know how he was doing and to tell him that I’ve been experiencing a much longer than expected hiatus and that I am only taking one day at once. It seems as if when I am about to reach physical wholeness, I hit another road block. 

For example all of last week was a real nightmare due to my extremely heavy work agenda, and on Tuesday I was hit by a motorcycle (it was a hit and run). The impact left me feeling lightheaded, sore and tense for the rest of the day so I was back to basics. 
Yesterday I became acquainted with a new and different type of pain on my upper left side, piercing my chest that really freaked me out, that's why I better take it easy. I don't even have strength to get frustrated!

When I meet him tomorrow, we’ll be each other’s mirror who will provide one another comfort to forbear this outstretched hiatus together and retaliate despite our physical limitations...

No comments: