Sunday, September 8, 2013

Living gracefully... Aging gracefully Dying gracefully


Living gracefully...
Aging gracefully
Dying gracefully
September 8, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




Her blog among two or three others are tops on my daily/weekly readings to boost me. Her post today started like this:

“Last week I made a mistake that had me mentally kicking myself pretty much every day. I made a mistake. I felt bad about it.  But my guilt was overblown.  I hadn't considered the results before asking them to cut the brush and it was a simple error in judgment.  The problem is sometimes it's easy to get mired in guilt.  And when you do, it's usually followed by punishment.  Before you know it, you end up unconsciously doing things that make you feel bad about yourself like overeating, drinking too much, procrastinating and missing deadlines, or in my case, repeatedly looking out the window at the mess.”  

She felt guilty about cutting the bushes in her yard which not only did it make her yard look worse and the animals living there lost their peace but she was also emotionally disturbed . As I skimmed through her post, I resonated with her completely as I’ve been emotionally, spiritually but more than anything, physically drained myself and I keep beating myself about it. The main reason for this collapse is because I have not fully recovered from surgery. I get very antsy and demand more from my worn out body but it is simply NOT responding. The second reason, is because the work flow is not slowing down and it is taking a lot more time than expected. The third and most detrimental acumen, is a huge and serious mistake I made earlier this week. 

Translation/interpretation work is very demanding and mentally debilitating especially when it comes to technical topics and terms, which is what I encountered a couple days ago. On Saturday when the rain subsided, I realized that the minute I got that request, I should’ve not given in to pressure. I instead should’ve asked for time to sit down and analyze the whole scenario in order to give a fair and firm quote for my services...
But I didn’t. That was a very unintelligent and rushed decision that brought upon too much stress, anxiety, concern and pressure. I hired a “Translator,” who claimed to be a professional but she obviously didn’t understand the technicalities in a legal document nor the seriousness to begin with. She made several mistakes.

  1. She didn’t use the according accents in the words (It was an English to Spanish document)
  2. She didn’t respect the punctuation or grammar rules.
  3. She sent me the document all out of sequence, page number 8 as page number 2, page number 7 on page number 4, (I don’t know how in the world that happened when she was given the document in the right sequence to begin with!) 
  4. She sent me one part, then another part, and another in the body of the email she sent because she didn’t even know how to attach and send a document. 
  5. She translated 10 additional pages than the ones assigned to her when I reiterated and assigned 17 pages.
  6. She made absolutely no sense in her “translation.” 
  7. I can't recall what other serious mistakes she made. 

I hate to be harsh and critical on someone but I was very angry and blew off on her  due to the sensitivity of this type of work, more so because the document had to be officially sealed. I had to hire and pay another Translator to help me fix this woman’s horrifying mistakes. It cost me a lot more time, money, energy and effort than planned. It was very hurtful and I was saddened and discouraged with this whole thing. But I am more deterred because I put my physical and emotional health at risk. My professional image and my emotional peace were at stake because it was my client, therefore I was compromised to deliver a clean, clear and concise final job. 

That’s why I cannot let go perhaps because it is too soon. Maybe it’ll take me just a couple of days, weeks to be ok once again. The thought of how people are so incompetent and uncareful with their work really makes me wonder how they call themselves ‘professionals’ when they can’t even understand the most basic things. I will have to drop this matter sooner or later and use it as another learning experience like Cheryl Richardson said. 

“It's hard enough being a spiritual being in a human body living on a planet where poverty, violence, and hardship exists so readily in the outer world.  Why make your inner world a war zone, too? If you screwed up, by all means make amends, but don't punish yourself by lingering in the pain.  Better to forgive and move on.”

All my life I’ve just wanted to live gracefully by my own rules and principles in my core, by respecting society’s rules and NOT taking advantage of others, that’s why it distresses me to encounter people and situations like this. 
Age gracefully through leading a healthy lifestyle to build a strong and transparent temple, and help others. 
And die gracefully once I’ve become my own legend who’s built an impacting legacy and leave it behind to my niece and nephews and to my children if God gives me the opportunity to reproduce and be a loving and caring mother one day.

Tomorrow will be another day and I am praying to regain physical, emotional and spiritual balance once again.

No comments: