Wednesday, December 12, 2012

La Guadalupana


La Guadalupana
By: Gina Yoryet Roman
December 12, 2012





I learned a lot about faith from my parents, especially from my mother. I still have memories of us going to mass week after week. As a born and raised catholic, I was baptized and did my first communion.
When I was a teenager I became part of a catholic youth group which played an important role in forging who I am now.
That very short lasting stage in life eventually became tedious and I soon got distracted with other 'better' things and dropped it, that followed my complete disconnection with all religion matters. Spiritual matters were not necessary after all…Only every once in a while when things were not that rosy. 

The truth is that deep down I always prayed and reached out to God and La Virgencita, in the dim lighting of my room when the entire world was asleep. When daylight came I put on a good show and faked that I was very tough and those issues were irrelevant and pointless. 
I had forgotten those prayers until my youngest sister reminded me a few weeks ago, "I remember when we were younger, you prayed every night."
Her comment caught me off guard because I thought nobody knew about my spiritual side. 
About a year and a half ago, I started going to F. S. S. P., where I've found the long sought inner peace. F. S. S. P. has taught me simple yet BIG things. To give unconditional love and to hold on to faith no matter what. Amongst the most important values, I've learned to cherish and have faith in La Morenita, or La Guadalupana, our Mexican virgin. 

Especially today, on her day, Dia de la Virgen de Guadalupe.' On december 12, the  majority of Mexicans (about 70%,) gather around the Basilica in Mexico City (the second most visited temple worldwide) and in churches all around Mexico to thank  the mother of our nation for the miracles granted during the year. 
Last night as I slowly fell into a deep sleep, I could hear fire crackers afar and this morning I was awakened at dawn by the cracking of fireworks to welcome her. 

Not many believe that she belongs to us nonetheless; according to El Siglo de Durango, a Mexican newspaper,  a Chinese business man tried to patent La Morenita as theirs, on February 28, 2002. http://www.elsiglodedurango.com.mx/noticia/9131.comercializan-chinos-imagen-de-la-virgen-de-g.html
Mexicans were very outraged and insulted when the news spread. Who would've thought that the Chinese would be devoted to our virgin? There may be some Chinese catholics but I have never met a single one so it is hard to put the two together.
To Mexicans she will always be the mother and protector of Mexico so no one can just come and snatch her from us.  We will continue to celebrate this day and to worship her because she will never leave us nor forsake us.





No comments: