Sunday, January 30, 2011

Being an independent woman in Guadalajara

Being an independent woman in Guadalajara
Sunday January 30, 2011

Tomorrow is the end of the first month of 2011. I couldn’t help looking back on my endless list of goals for this year and felt very pleased because so far I’ve accomplished a few of them. For instance, spending more time with my nephew, that little boy is like my own son, he is so adorable! Another thing I’ve kept up with is my writing. Before I´d always beat around the bush before I got to it and I still do but unlike before, now I look forward to it.
It is my way to meditate and let out my feelings of the nice and stressful moments of my week. It is a moment to sit down, reflect, reach out to me and really get to know myself. It is a time to talk about the people I spent time with besides the people I work with and think about what lesson I’ve learnt from spending time with them.
Last night I went out to dinner with a friend of mine I work with. She mentioned the fact of how hard it was to get together with me because I am always so busy so I told her that one of my goals was to have more of a social life because I’d practically became a nun in the last two years (maybe even longer!).
I figured even though I am not a teenager I am still young and I’m a human being so I owe it to myself. Life is not only about work, work work! I am awful when it comes to that, work is also my escape so when I’m not feeling my best I tend to work, work out, do charity work, and find a million things to do to keep my mind occupied.
The main topic of our conversation last night was the fact that one of the most beautiful things in life is to be independent. As women we love and enjoy making money and having the freedom so we don’t have to depend on anyone. For women it is one of the most amazing things and we would never give that up.
In Guadalajara though, it’s kind of awkward because men don’t take it too well. Men are intimidated by independent women because they feel threatened. Threatened of what? I don’t know. It is more of an excuse but it really doesn’t matter.
Right now I’m very tired because I normally go to bed at 10, 10:30 maybe 11pm because my days start extremely early but since I started La Ruta del Tequila, I’ve been going to bed at 12, 12:30 and later. And from February till April things will get even more intense because there’s another project lined up. It will be more work, more effort, longer days, more people to hire, more paperwork, more phone calls, more places to go, etc.
Despite the fact that all of this will take more time it is the road I’ve chosen and I am fully aware that in order to reach the summit there are many things to sacrifice. In fact many times the winner stands out alone and this is only the beginning of a new and amazing journey.

No comments: