Friday, June 21, 2019

My fears are manifested in the darkness

My fears are manifested in the darkness
Gina Yoryet Román
June 20, 2019

Post originally written on April 14, 2019


Earlier in April I went on to a new quest to kick off the next chapter of my life. I was asked to write a brief autobiography and to emphasize my prior professional experience.
This chapter is just one piece of the puzzle that will lead me to a fuller episode, and that phase will hopefully get me closer to finally wrapping up my book, my testimony of this journey called life…

It starts like this,

 
The ordeal with my name, something that has had to be explained as far back as I can recall.  My birth name is “Yoryet,” pronounced “Georgette,” but I go by “Gina” (Gina is short for Georgina, which is the Spanish version for Yoryet, or Georgette) because every English speaker is far from articulating “Yoryet,” the way it should. Many people are under the impression that my real name is "Georgina," but I go by "Yoryet."

Being bilingual, multicultural and biliterate awakened my interest of traveling and learning about other cultures since I was young.

Long ago after graduating from High School, it took me a while to narrow-down my path Education wise, and I kept dropping out of college and starting all over again. Back then, I thought I was all that, and a bag of chips! Conquering the world was my quest, yet, little did I know that as long as I neglected the gifts I was given, and lacked the right tools, failure would be my most faithful and resilient companion.  When I finally became cognizant of my reality and purpose; Adult Education, teaching languages, health and fitnessplaying sports on a professional level and writingdestiny had one of the most challenging setbacks aligned, needless to say, my dreams came to a halt.

Once I moved to a whole new world, I put all my time, energy and effort into starting a business geared towards Education, funny enough, as Teaching and Education are some of my passions in life. Sharing my knowledge with others ignites me to want bigger and better every day. Years ago, since I started my small business, I have invested a lot of energy into polishing my skills as a Teacher and Educator in different areas. Teaching has been the main trigger to help me stimulate my passion and define my purpose.

Another one of my passions is playing with words (writing).
I co-authored HERspectives - Rules and Tools that Build Successful Women - How I Achieved Work, Life, Balance, which was published in July, 2014. 



In 2018 I authored Habla Cristiano (Spanish as a Second Language 1 and 2) Spanish learning series.

I have published my own Spanish and English Teaching Curriculums. I was part of the Teacher Trainer/Training at an international school where I worked for seven years, and later I went on to working independently.  

Living in different countries has provided me with the experience of teaching English as a Second Language from Elementary School to College/University levels.  
I also became a certified Translator, text Translator, and Simultaneous/Consecutive Interpreter which has given me the opportunity to work with some of the most important worldwide organizations I have also trained Translators and Interpreters in the Medical area in the past

"I am the messenger, the one who takes your statements and brings them to life in an unknown language to you. I was trained to play
with a game called, "words," to best interpret and deliver your message. And that is exactly what I want to do because my interpretation
can only be as good as I am, and that's always good to keep in mind
."

I first became involved in teaching through the natural progression of the skills and experience I gained by growing up in a multicultural, bicultural and biliterate family in both California and Mexico. I developed a love for languages at a very young age and began to pursue a career in that field, where I could play with my words and expand my knowledge in vast areas.

Later in life, this led me to start My ABC’s (my principles in life), posting publicly about my most meaningful matters: Spirituality, Family, Work and Business Ethics, Health and Fitness, Charity Work, Reading, playing with words (Writing), reflecting and embracing the simplicity of life:

In Guadalajara I was also featured on radio talks and workshops on the importance and advantages of Professional and Business Writing and of being bilingual in the business world as well as Business and Business Ethics.

I have taught a wide variety of courses geared towards English for a Specific Purpose, and various Standardized test prep courses, Technical English, and medical writing, Advanced Composition, CV and Cover Letter Writing, English and Spanish for a Specific Purpose, Spanish Language and Culture, Technical English/Spanish in different areas, (Medical, Law, Business, Education, etc.)

In addition, I have created my own Business Development Training and Curriculum for Business Entrepreneurs / Business Students at IPADE (Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección Empresarial – The Panamerican Institute of Business Administration) and Coparmex Jalisco, (Confederación Patronal de la República Mexicana – Mexican Employer´s Confederation) as well as other Government and National/Translational Institutions. 

I have worked as a Bilingual Spanish/English Learning Facilitator, Coordinator and Supervisor at different Institutions in Guadalajara.

My approach to teaching each subject and/or level, is according to each student's needs. Every class is tailored accordingly with structure and flexibility. Throughout my teaching experience. I have used different Teaching Methods; The Silent Way, The Natural approach, as well as other Teaching Approaches.

These traces that I´ve left behind in my journey, are my own testimonial and drive to myself and to those I work with. Now, more than a decade later, life has thrown yet another curveball at me, this time it is by choice, NOT by chance though.

Long ago, little did I know, or much less did it go beyond my wildest dreams to fathom, that I would some day move to yet another country and literally go back to basics (I´m only at this given place because my husband is from this side of the world).
Here I am, as I watch my fingers type voicing out my ideas, I can´t help fighting this angst of not being capable of rising to the occasion according to Canadian Educational and professional Standards.

At this particular moment and place, the future seems bleak. I am unbeknownst as to whether I have what it takes to pull through this never-ending excruciation of going back to the beginning, like a babe in the woods! Yet, deep down I am well aware that I have to remain mentally and physically resilient and use my extensive experience accordingly, to get there.   

With this in hand, next time my fears are manifested in the darkness when I lie awake at night, I will be at ease. For the sake of all my sacrifices, I will work even harder than ever because I know that it is only a matter of time before I get there. Mind over matter!  

Amidst the storm, writing has always been a therapy, and although I do it very randomly nowadays, I am always inspired to keep playing with my words…

“A childhood dream turned into passion, my passion diverted into my reality, my verdict that reveals my essence and proves that obstacles are nothing but tiny matters lying ahead.”

For the last twelve months since that life changing transition, my spirit had been dormant resonating, reasoning, strategizing, and outlining how to retaliate and come back bigger and better. As of late April, I could finally see the rain starting to subside and that enabled me to gather all the necessary tools to trace my path and regain my mental strength once again





No comments: