Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Food for thought

Food for thought
April 23rd, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Román

Two nights ago I was told that my writing is very impressive because I give it very meticulous thought and genuine meaning. This kind of feedback is the best momentum to nurture my mind and it fuels me to keep moving forward just when I am running on a short supply of writing theory.

I apply thorough thinking to everything entailed to my ABC’s, what’s formed the woman I am now since I have a tendency to be 10 times more analytical than others - Spirituality, family, work and business ethics, health and fitness, charity work, reading, playing with words, reflecting and embracing the simplicity of life. I’ve always out-dared life and asked the what, who, why, how, when, where of everything. As I’ve grown older, I’ve learned to look at the whole picture and think, analyze, reflect and then act as opposed to before that I was like a pistol, very quick to effectuate thoughtless actions.

Unlike now. In order to find balance I choose who and what to surround myself with. That ‘what ‘and ‘who,’ are the positive and supporting people who love and believe in me (my family), and those that I have always known deep down that would walk this journey with me all of our lives. The ‘what’ would be something that aligns me emotionally and spiritually, and reinforces the inner peace all humans are in search for.

By praying I feed my heart, mind and sold. Praying is the cause that gives me the effect of inner reconciliation. I don’t pray every morning and go to mass every chance I get only because I feel obligated to, I go because I have slowly and progressively developed the love for it. This first rule is my emotional sustenance that I will always hold on to and pass on this principle to my children if I am meant to be a mother.

Through my work and business ethics I was propelled to search within and make a living by helping others. All my younger years were spent performing duties I detested until I came here. Through my bilingual, bi-literate and multicultural skills, I’ve managed to increase my knowledge and share that and my skills with others. Helping others has always given me inner peace - My happiness doesn’t lie upon this principle, but it gives me meaning in life. I was telling this significant person who commented me on my writing, that I love my job and I cannot picture myself doing anything else. On this account, the ‘what,’ is my job, the ‘who,’ are all my clients, students, work colleagues and all those who I am in constant contact with for work related purposes.

Health and fitness. My motto in life is that my body is my most valuable asset and it all revolves around a healthy mind, body and soul. If none of these aforementioned function accordingly, nothing else will. My body and health are my best allies which help me fight the daily battles of life and who will be with me until my last day on this planet. That’s why I only have one choice. Nurture it with the right fuel to make it my most resilient weapon and shield. 

Charity work has always been an emotional escape when I am down in the dumps and feel as if the world revolves around me. All through my life I’ve given a lending hand at animal shelters retirement homes, orphanages, my church and low income families and communities and other institutions in greater need because I know that those souls are always straying, bouncing from one place to another only for the mere fact and ill fortune of having been born in a lower social class. Those left at the bottom of society are the ones who need the most, yet the ones who give the most. Every experience I have shared with every single individual has been a priceless practice.

Reading is another food for thought for me. By reading I learn, explore, analyze, critique and admire writers’ talent. I also go M. I. A. for a while by turning off my phone and enjoy taking in all those amazingly well-formed ideas and sublimely put together words. This principle is shared with all of my students being aware that México is placed at the bottom when it comes to reading literacy. Every single one of my classes is required to read a book in English no matter whether they´re doctors, lawyers, architects, homemakers or business entrepreneurs.

Playing with words. I developed a love for writing ever since I was a little girl. Every thought and moment lived was registered in my journals, but I was unbeknownst that some day that would turn into something bigger. Writing has witnessed me blossom into a better person. Writing has been my best friend through all my bouts of sadness, happiness, pride and accomplishments. I would never give it up under any circumstances because it soothes my mind, heart and soul.

By reflecting and embracing the simplicity of life I enjoy the natural beauty of this world and appreciate that small things make something very meaningful. These principles will never be left or forsaken by Gina Yoryet because they´ve formed the "I."

That's why some day I want to be able to share my principles with my soul mate, the one who will challenge life guided by the same doctrine and the man who is not daunted to accept the woman I am... Meanwhile, I will keep giving my heart, mind, body and soul, some food for thought!


No comments: