Friday, April 11, 2014

An ass is an ass

An ass is an ass
April 11, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Román


My good ‘ole friend Pedro would always tell me, “an ass is an ass,” every time I caught him off guard checking out my bootie. He emphasized the same phrase when we chatted through skype two days ago. He was making reference to a Mexican woman, a particular Gina he met at Sanmina some time ago, a thin asian looking morena - brunette, brownish hair, dark eyes, about 5 feet two inches. I was convinced that it was me because all of the mentioned characteristics described me...until he said, “EXCEPT, that you have a bigger bootie than her!” Ha ha! Pedro is the only male friend I can have a very authentic monologue about booties, after all, an ass is an ass!

They say that men are very visual, therefore the first thing they notice on a woman’s body, is her bumps and curves all around. Unlike women who “tend to focus” on other things about men. So they say! I am VERY visual, nothing beats a man with a nice round bootie! It is like eye candy but I have to admit that I have grown out of that. As a prior young and professional athlete, I was constantly surrounded by male athletes and during the twelve years that I competed, I couldn’t let a few of them escape! All through the beginning, men was one of the main reasons why I loved competing. Once I graduated from college following my masochist relationship with running, I became more competitive and went after 21 and 42.k’s. Señora fortuna had more men lined up for me and I was in heaven! I vividly recall dating olympic and high performance athletes who were just as high-rendering as myself or more. The adrenaline that the ‘who’s faster, higher, stronger, better and prettier’ race ran through my hot Mexican blood was indescribable and incomparable. 

Little did I know that that sensation would soon fade. Years later, when I went through a crisis for better, it all dawned on me, all the momentary pleasure that those Godly like bodies provided me, left me feeling more empty, alone, forgotten and abandoned. I, as much as them were too concentrated on vanity and the superficial side of the coin. With this said, all that beauty started withering slowly from my eyes. I still appreciate a nice body unlike before. I instead look at the whole picture and it goes beyond that. Looking at the other side of the coin, I still meet and interview professional and non professional athletes. As sports press, I have the privilege to attend high prestige sporting events in which I get the opportunity to have very close contact with professionals, talk to them and appreciate their outer glamor but that no longer does it for me. Especially when it comes to relationships, I mean, I do encourage my partner (when I am in a relationship) to take care of his image but not to the point of vanity over health.

Reflecting upon the untold men in my life and contemplating the whole situation with the perspective of a mature and confident woman, I would’ve loved to be with one and only one man forever, to appreaciate each other’s beauty on further depth and be there for each other through good and bad, ups and downs. Perhaps one day the man who I’ll share the rest of my life with, is waiting for me somewhere along the line.

The emotions stirring inside were dwelled on one of Clarissa Pinkola Estés’ quotes.

“ The way to maintain one's connection to the wild is to ask yourself what it is that you want. This is the sorting of the seed from the dirt. One of the most important discriminations we can make in this matter is the difference between things that beckon to us and things that call from our souls.
Nowhere can this be seen more clearly than in the choice of mates and lovers.
A lover cannot be chosen a la smorgasbord. A lover has to be chosen from soul-craving. To choose just because something mouthwatering stands before us, will never satisfy the hunger of the soul-self. And that is what the intuition is for; it is the direct messenger of the soul.”
 ‘Women Who Run with the Wolves’

It is NEVER too late to live by one of my principles, be true to myself and keep in mind that an ass is nothing else but just another ass!

No comments: