Sunday, April 20, 2014

A devoted and focused athlete

A devoted and focused athlete
April 20, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Román



Late February when I first made my come back to the gym, I slowly integrated  two pm work out sessions since I could not get myself to make it at 5am. I am always on the look to meet and interview people who are passionate about health and fitness, so I immediately noticed Alejandra. Her trim and svelte physique stood out from all the other ones so I told myslef, “She’s next on my list!” From there on, a couple weeks went by before I had a little time to approach her without having to storm out of the gym and this is what I came up with!

Name: Gloria Alejandra González Núñez
Age: 28
Date of birth: 22/01/201986
Gender: Femenino
Height: 1.77 (5.80709 feet)
Current weight: 66 (145.505 pounds)
Ideal weightl:63 (138.891 pounds)
Fitness level: Intermediate
Daily calorie intake: 1,300 - 1,500
Blood type: A+
Body type: Ectomorph
BMI:  22.0
What sports do you play?: Outdoor/indoor jogging, gym.
How long have you played/practiced this sport? : Jogging 10 years.
How did you get into fitness: Because of felf motivation and  because I wanted to change my life for better.
What is your biggest challenge?: Know that I can give more from me every day.
How do you get motivated?: By keeping a positive and strong mind, and witness all the emotional and physical changes.
Do you play other sports?: Cycling or other outdoor activities.
What is your fitness objective?: Improve and keep my body in good shape.
Do you have a special diet?: I have a balanced diet, I eat everything I want but I normally eat a lot of fiber, veggies, fruit, liquid, protein and very little red meat.
How do you handle work, school, family, your social life and fitness?:
I have to manage my time and compensate to be on top of everything. Working out gives me more energy at work and in general.
What is your advice for amateur and young athletes?: You have to have will, don’t leave anything halfway done, set short and long term goals and enjoy physical activities by turning them a life style
What do you think that Mexico is number one in childhood overweight and obesity worldwide?: It is truly sad, we lack education when it comes to health. Nowadays health issues have been addressed at schools, we have campaigns, etc. but we still need peoples’ will. We have to nurture the love for a change and teach our children. We need to use technology in our favor and get a lot of important information to solve this problem.
Why do you think there are so many overweight and obese people, why has this turned into a worldwide issue?:
This is a more serious problem because humans have become more dependent of food and easy things in general. People who work from home, children as well as adults spend long hours using their technological devices; their cell phones, televisions, computers, etc. Sometimes they spend their entire day behind a monitor!
The majority of the population have cars, they shop online, I can give you a long list of examples where people are idle.
What’s your advice to those who want to lose weight?:
We must take advantage of all the opportunities out there, join a sport such as soccer, volleyball, power walk, the gym, or any physical activity that you like.
We can make a big change. If we can’t do any type of exercise (which I don’t think is the case) then we can at least take advantage of the opportunities out there. Walk as opposed to taking the bus or driving, if you go into a building and need to go to a fourth floor, use the stairs, get up and stretch, we need to use our imagination to avoid being too sedentary.
Do you have further comments?: Analyze the number of calories we consume daily and how active we are in order to take care of our body. Also analyze whether or not we are keeping a balance between what we consume and what we burn. Just enjoy any physical, either indoor or outdoor.

No comments: