Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Perfect Game


October 21st, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


Last Sunday, October 6, when I approached the little stand (that sells Christ and Saint images and other religious relics), right after mass, my eyes locked onto,  “The Perfect Game,” a 2009 American drama film directed by William Dear, based on the 2008 book of the same name written by W. William Winokur. The film is based on the events leading to the 1957 Little League World Series, which was won by the first team from outside the United States, the Industrial League of Monterrey, Mexico, who defeated the heavily favored U. S. team. Mexican pitcher Angel Macias threw the first, and so far only, perfect game in championship game history.


César Faz (Clifton Collins, Jr.), moves to Monterrey, Mexico after he is let go by the St. Louis Cardinals from his job as a clubhouse attendant. There he meets local children being led by Padre Esteban (Cheech Marin), enjoying baseball; he takes pitcher Ángel Macías (Jake T. Austin), under his wing and brags about his own pitching skills and how he used to coach the Cardinals. Ángel convinces César to help recruit and coach Monterrey's first-ever Little League team. With César's skills and Padre Esteban's support, the boys hone themselves into a competitive team worthy of international competition. At the final game of the World Series of Little League, Monterrey defeated the team of West La Mesa, California 4-0. Enrique Suárez (Jansen Panettiere), hit a grand slam home run, and Ángel Macías pitched a perfect game, a feat that has not since been repeated in Little League World Series history.
When the team arrives in the United States, they are met with racism, a language barrier, and visa troubles. Though the underdogs, the team scores a series of victories that endear them to the media, and new fans. They befriend a sports reporter, Frankie (Emilie de Ravin), and the groundskeeper, Cool Papa Bell (Louis Gossett, Jr.), who then assist the boys in reaching the final game.
During the first few minutes of the movie I started dozing off but as the story progressed, I was very awake and alert to all the events of the story. All through the film I realized something that wasn’t apparent when I was first recommended the movie; sports and faith, two key elements in my ABC’s.
As described on Wikipedia, when the little boys arrive to the United States, not only did they have to face racism, discrimination, language barrier and visa issues, they are faced with money matters, fatigue, the proper attire to wear. After they are dropped off by the bus on the border of Mexico and the U. S., they lacked the financial or other means to find another form of transportation to get to their first game, so they are forced to walk ten miles! 
Considering that athletes have to be well-rested the prior few days before competing, they lacked that, they were instead exhausted and hungry, yet they overcame that by blindly trusting and following their coach’s commands. Along with the faith and prayers of Padre Esteban,  (Cheech Marin), who served as a motivating drive to Cesar when he came close to giving up due to all the physical, financial and emotional hardship, they proved the entire world that they were worthy of the long coveted prize. 

When one of the little boys was asked, “Aren’t you afraid that your opponents are taller, heavier and stronger?” He replied, “We are going to play them, we are not going to carry them.” Despite being underweight and shorter, they didn’t wimp out at any moment. 
This narrative based on a true story proves that there are many little heroes out there in this world who lack money and opportunities but they aren’t daunted by that. Despite the endless matters lying behind and ahead, they aren’t controlled by that, they are guided by what lies within to reach their goals and to get a hold of their destiny.

I couldn’t help crying as I was reminded of my personal and life stumbling blocks that have hindered some of my plans. There have been many things in the past that I’ve wanted with all my heart and when I am very close to reaching them, for one impeding block or another, they don’t come through. There was a lot of anger and disappointment at that given moment but each time when I am finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I’ve learnt and accepted that perhaps that is not God’s will, that I have to learn to regard at life Through the eyes of God, in spite of my circumstances. 

I must reach out to acceptance because I am the ONLY one who can control my destiny amidst all the daily circumstances. As long as I am alive and opportunities come, I will keep trying...

Reflexions by: GYR, Mea Spirituali Res, March 31, 2013:

“Later in my twenties, I was ready for a new spiritual quest when I moved to Sacramento. As a result, I started going to English mass which I really enjoyed but had a hard time learning the missal but I eventually narrowed down most of it. I never confessed this to anyone but during all or most of my high-intensity season trainings up in the mountains at  Howarth Park in Santa Rosa, on the Sacramento River trail, at Mckinley park, or at the stadium in Sacramento City College, Sacramento State University, or during most of my state meets and competitions, I constantly prayed silently and did a lot of self-talk. Time after time, I asked God to manifest his unconditional love to me by helping me find my (his) way. I asked him to reach out to me not based on my appearance, my intelligence, the color of my skin, my social status, or my  failures but based on the grounds of being another one of his disoriented children who wanted to serve his purpose, yet those talks went ‘unanswered.’ 

I possibly denied myself from sensing and seeing his intense, direct and clear presence.  I kept telling myself, “I have the right attire worthy of a competitive and professional athlete and I’ve done quite well at keeping at a physically fitness level...yet, I long for mental fitness which is as equally important to compete for your glory. If my head is not fully in you, I will always lose. 

All through my life my intuitive self has challenged my faith (and all the other aspects that entail (The Circle of Life), and raised many questions, such as: Why is this happening? Where is God when it hurts? Why doesn’t he doesn’t do something? Why doesn’t he reach out to me when I need him the most? Where is the protection he promised? Why doesn’t he answer prayers and grant me all my requests whenever and however I want them? How can I fathom your presence? How can I unravel your existence? Are you manifested through certain humans, through someone’s voice, through the immaculateness of a child, through a mother's tenderness, through words and music, through the act of love and forgiveness, through an object?”

Reflexions by: GYR continued, September 26, 2013
“I am unaware of, or on denial to fully engage and accept my nature, the only spiritual, emotional and physical sustenance in the midst of any ‘impossible’ obstacle. Help me surrender to your will but more than anything, help me hear and regard life through your eyes. Help me   purify my mind, body and soul all through this quest . Show me how to reach out to you through ups and downs and if/when my heart gets wounded and if I hurt others,  open my soul and give me the right tools to avoid letting my actions speak louder than my words. 

Thank you for letting me witness you earlier today during El Apostolado de la Virgen, and for endowing me with the most valuable gift any human being on this planet could ever ask for...."

Spiritual and mental peace. 
Priceless!!

No comments: