Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mexico's double Olympian Patrick Loliger


Mexico's double Olympian 
Patrick Loliger
The greater the struggle.... 
The more glorious the triumph 
October 6, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


When I first found out about the Ultimate MX Crossfit event that took place this past September 28 and 29, I immediately contacted the Comité Organizador and had Eva Patiño (who I interviewed as well), one of the organizers set me up a with a press ID and invited me to a press conference where Patricio Lolinger Salas and another triathlete were going to be interviewed at Mister tennis  at Plaza Andares but due to my swamped work schedule, I couldn´t squeeze that event in. 

Last Sunday immediately after arriving at Unidad Deportiva revolucion past noon time where competitors and spectators met, Eva Patiño dragged me towards Patrick Alexandre Ernst Loliger Salas, a very good looking and down to earth young man. The same one I received the invite to go see! This Mexican rower better known as Patrick Lolinger, a half Swiss (his father, Rolf Loliger) and half Mexican (Angelica Salas), has participated in different rowing competitions worldwide, such as the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games and the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games. 

I was dumbstruck to meet and have the opportunity to talk to such competitive, popular and highly placed international athlete that I couldn’t get myself together all through the interview, unlike him. The tone of his voice and contemplating at the way he carried himself indicated that he is used to being interviewed. I couldn’t get the video camera on my ipad to work nor did I remember to turn on my radio until the last sixty seconds of our meeting. My voice and hands were a little shaky and I couldn’t stop sweating. Needless to say, the first interview was a disaster so I had to go look for him to run a second interview and here are the results:


Age: 28
DOB: June 20, 1985
Currently residence: Monterrey
Weight: Normally 84-86 kilos all year round (Currently at 80 kilos)
Height: 1.82 meters
Body type: A mix of Ectomorph and Mesomorph
BMI: 7% in high season which means all year round
Sport: Rowing
How long: 15 years
I have to compete all year round
Main objective: To reach my weight from last year. I lost about 6 kilos due to a back injury last year.
Competition goal: Win the Central America in Veracruz next year. It is the most important competition for Mexico, therefore I have to be mentally and physically prepared.
Awards, cups, medals, prizes won: 3 golden cups del mundo, 3 world cups, etc. 
How long do you train? I train practically all year round, I have very few days off, perhaps two weeks off total per year.  Plus I take other days off from rowing but I train/do other sports.
Other sports practiced: I mostly train for triathlons and when I’m getting close to competition, I complement rowing with cross-fit. 
Special diet: i Consume between 5-7 thousand daily calories to recover the weight he lost last year.
Cheats with sweet bread, it is my favorite, I eat sweet bread very randomly. 
Injuries: I have a back injury. I was training with that injury (which was only being controlled) during high season. I couldn’t recover 100% because it was a MUST for me to compete at certain events in order to reach a particular rank. The pain was only being controlled, Unlike now that I have more frequent therapy, I’m training and doing a lighter back workout routine so I believe that this year I am going to be fully recovered.
Biggest challenges: When I broke the clavicle and compete three months right after. Then this year, having to compete with an injured back.
Reason he compete: Self-fulfillment, to get an award and/or medal, represent my country, or a personal goal I set. I normally set high-standards and I accomplish them. And let’s say this is a lifestyle, I am currently making a living off of this.Therefore the reason why I do it is a mix of all of the above. 
Medals/awards won: 
2013 in Italy won second place, Holland, first place, in Russia’s world championship won second place. 
Other activities: He is currently studying a Master’s in International Business at Tecnológico de Monterrey where I currently resides. 
How does he manage all his activities: Rowing is my current priority and then everything else. School has to be put behind since I am making a living out of rowing because this is my moment, “the right time and place” when I can give my best results.
I normally take very few units per semester and if I know that I am going to miss a lot because of traveling I drop out entirely for that particular semester so school has to go a lot slower than usual.
How long do you train? I usually train 5 hours a day. Except for Sunday and Monday, I only train between two to three hours. 
Category: Senior peso abierto 
Competes: en continuidad. 
Advice to amateur and veteran athletes: We could always fail but that doesn’t matter, what is of higher importance is how we react, and how well we are going to bounce right back up. The only key to success keep trying because The greater the struggle...The more glorious the triumph...
The greater the struggle.... 




Had to pose with him!




No comments: