Thursday, October 10, 2013

A cross-fit Aficionado..Eva Patiño Hernandez


A cross-fit afficionado
Eva Patiño Hernandez
October 10, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




It is always such a thrill to talk to intense professional and non-professional athletes who share the same passion I do. Meeting them is what’s gotten me more involved in health and fitness issues regarding Guadalajara. One of the most significant reasons of why this is part of my ABC’s, is because I want to put a halt to that media who is always reporting that México is “THE” fattest country. I want to prove many others that Mexicans are indeed aware of this huge global issue, and they do care for their health. 

And to enjoy my hobby (one of my duties) more, is to keep going after as many sports lovers as possible during my stay here. 

At the Ultimate MX event on September 28 and 29, I met one of the organizers who gets to deal with media and the one who hooked me up with a press pass.


Name: Eva Patiño Hernandez
Occupation: The media department at Ultimate MX, the commercial part of each event
Company: Taste works and coordinated with a cross-fit 220 gym. They are a BTL (Below the Line) and Public Relations company who hold massive events such as concerts but they had never put on a sporting event. 
Age: 24 
DOB: March 27, 1989
Weight: 49 kilos (108.027 pounds)
Height: 1.56 meters (5 feet, 11811 inches)
BMI (Body Mass Index): 6.8

BMI Categories:
  1. Underweight = <18 .5="" span="">
  2. Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
  3. Overweight = 25–29.9
  4. Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater


Body type: A mix of Ectomorph and a Mesomorph (Physical traits of an Ectomorph and a Mesomorph).


It is very easy for me to put on muscle but I lose it right away as well. 
Prior injuries: I’ve been on a month of recovery due to a recent knee surgery (about four weeks ago) which was the cause of a 3 kilo weight loss. The reason of it is that I am very intense in everything I do so I tend to overtrain and sometimes hurt myself. Muscle dissolves almost instantaneously but I will recover it within three months of hard training.
How long have you been training cross-fit: Seven months, perhaps eight months, it really hasn’t been that long. 
How did you get into cross-fit? I have always loved to play sports and working out. Cross-fit 220 who we coordinated with, is on the corner of my office and I would walk past it every day. One day I was invaded by curiosity and decided to peek in and when I saw people dripping sweat and got a feeling of it, I was like “Wow!, I like this vibe, and ever since a few days after that, I haven’t been able to stop!” 
Other sports played/practiced/competed: From eight to fifteen years old I did competitive/professional (olympic) gymnastics. From fourteen to seventeen I did cross-country, exathlon, high jump, long jump (800 meters), 110 meters with hurdles, shot put, I love sports!
What I love more about working out/sports: I never have a goal in mind to be the best or the have the hottest body. I simply enjoy the feeling of fulfillment, being able to do something  you set your mind into. It’s something like, I have never done a 10k, ok, I am going to do it, and once I cross the finish line, it’s like, “ok, I did it!” 
I love to set short term goals and challenges, it is not about competition with others, it’s more about competing with the woman that looks right back at me in the mirror every day.
Level: Intermediate
Diet: I am AWFUL at dieting! The nutritionist at my gym tried to get me into the Zone Diet



Another snapshot

at no avail. For me it is not about dieting, I eat what I want whenever I want and I love and enjoy sports, why complicate my life more by dieting?
Where do you train? I currently only do one hour of cross-fit six days a week (Monday through Saturday), and I jog/run outdoor (Parque Metropolitano) whenever I can squeeze in some time. 
Injuries: My meniscus was damaged because I am too intense while training so I always try to lift more/train harder than what I can take on. 
Why do you like to exercise? It is a little bit about everything; health, fitness, a combination of a healthy mind, body and soul. Since I have a very busy schedule and very long days, I want to get pumped up through exercising. 
At some point in the past, I used to work and go to school full time plus I trained and/or played a specific sport and I had to prioritize and I said farewell to my social life for a while but I don’t regret it because I loved it. 
What is your daily schedule? Since I graduated from university, my routine is more low key as I don’t have the pressure of school anymore but I am still always running.
What advice would you give to other amateur athletes? Take your time, if you do cross-fit, it is about competing with you and only you, take your time, don’t rush, because if you demand too much from your body, it has a limit. We have to take this limit into account and not go over that because we want our body to long last. 
Any other comments: I am very glad you joined us today, I really hope that there are many upcoming cross-fit and other sporting events in the future.



No comments: