Friday, August 16, 2013

Strangers in the night


Strangers in the night
August 16, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




Last week: Reflecting

I took a couple of days off and completely withdrew from the gym, writing, working, volunteer work and the usual turmoil. I just said “I completely withdrew.” NOT really, I am the type of person who gets antsy after lying down even for a short while to the point that I can’t even sit down to enjoy a nice movie because there is so much more to do before sun sets. 

The first days of August I attempted to fully disengage from my surroundings and go M. I. A. but I failed once again. First of all, my laptop was one of my top companions which I brought with the intention of finishing up a short work report by Wednesday. Second, I got a call on day number two of my outing (right when I had gotten back from a relaxing stroll) for work related issues. Day number three was the due date of the previously mentioned report so there was no room for excuses. I thought that would be all when my phone rang again. Day number four, there was another work call which I assigned to one of my colleagues. Day number five came much sooner than expected, “A-ha! this is my day off!” WRONG! I got another call to start a small project next week. Day number six was just as hustling as the prior ones so I got to the idea of it! 

One of the few quiet moments I vividly recall, was the night I paid close attention to the folklore dance show. It seemed as if those dancers had gotten all my attention but no! I was there physically BUT not mentally. My eyes gazed at all the people coming and going to get another plate of food, dessert, a drink, etc. I gazed at them thoroughly and wondered what was going through their minds at that particular moment?

The splendid ambience made me slowly integrate deeper in my thoughts and as I became more distant all the voices sounded as if I were dreaming. Instead of dozing off, I 
did some careful reflecting, I made a serious and important decision about something I had been pondering about for very long. 

That decision involved getting the least important and less profitable responsibilities out of my way in order to really focus on MY game. My project has been put off for too long for one reason or another and I refuse to continue letting it happen any further. I have a strong feeling that the ‘right time and place’ are peering through my window and as I get a hold of my momentum, I don’t want to let it slip away. 

That objective is work related...
Since my arrival here, I have never worked at an office because I am not good at it, I don’t react too well with sharing my space or other particular things. Some may think I am lazy but reality is that I am not enticed to live somebody else’s dream. I want to play my own game, live my dream, set my own rules, live by my own principles, decide who stays and goes in my life, and enjoy it and I will. 

I was always afraid to voice out my desires but every time the clock ticks indicating me that  time is running through my hands, I will create and live my dream. Those strangers in the night whose faces were concealed by darkness, stimulated me to reach out deep down and find myself to dictate my own destiny. With this in hand, now that I’ve eliminated a few things, I will start making a slow transition to get my mojo back. I will continue being faithful to my health and fitness and my abc’s because I no longer wish to stray and be a stranger to Gina Yoryet...

No comments: