Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A badminton Star



A badminton Star
August 27, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




All the athletes I have met lately are by mere coincidence and/or plain luck. It seems as though one after another marches his way to me willingly and voluntarily. Just yesterday I met a young badminton player and we had a very prompt and informal interview right away due to time constriction
One of the first things I asked him was, “what equipment is necessary to play badminton?”
  1. A badminton raquet
  2. A shuttlecock
  3. A badminton string
  4. Badminton shoes
  5. Badminton clothes
  6. Socks
  7. Wrist bands
  8. Headbands
  9. Other
Name: Hugo Javier Gutierrez Huerta 
Sex: Male
Age: 20
DATE OF BIRTH: April 24, 1993
Height: 1.90 meters (6.2336 feet)
Weight: 72 kilos (158.733 pounds)
Fitness level: Intermediate
Body type: Ectomorph 
Estimated BMI (Body Mass Index): 20.3
Plays/practices: Badminton
Medals won: 
1) Gold medal in double mix match with his game partner, Esther Jimenez
2) Gold medal "Por Equipos," tournament. A team won by the team all together.
Other sports he would like to practice:
Baskettball, swimming, tennis
Total time doing badminton: 10 years
Trains; Two hours daily, six days a week 
Why: I would like to compete at the Panam games Toronto in 2015 , and i like to play badminton , because when I play badminton i feel different , it's a very good sport and it's very fun and I am good at it. 
Diet: I currently don't have a diet but , when I am going to play at a tournament, I need to be careful with particular food. For example if I ate a heavy meal 20 minutes before my match, I will feel/be very heavy and I won’t be able to control myself or perform at my best.
Objective: Go to 21 points and don't let the shuttlecock fall 
Event: second selective to go to the Veracruz Centroamericanos 2014 
Number of tournaments : 3 
Victories: 3 
Date: August 23-25 , November 22-24 , January 5-7
Where: Guadalajara Jalisco , CODE 2  
Time: 9 am - 9 pm and Sunday 9 am - 2 pm 
Category: Free
How did you get into badminton? Actually I used to play basketball , but one day  saw my friend’s medals and I asked him what sport he played. He replied, “badminton.” I didn't know what badminton was , so one day I went to the CODE, (Consejo Estatal para el Fomento Deportivo), with him and when I saw badminton I said, “this is my sport and I don't know why but  i like it.”
How do you feel after your first victory? Very happy and I understood what discipline was. It was the best day I can remember. 
Biggest challenges: Finding time, it is very difficult because I am a full time student, then spending time with my family, training and other hobbies. 
Advice to young/amateur athletes: enjoy your sport and , don't be afraid , and if you play with your heart you can do many things , and if you want to be the best player , never back down .
What do you think about Mexico being number 1 in overweight and obesity? I think mexico needs more attitude and more organization because now there are more young athletes who want to play a professional sport but unfortunately the don’t have any support from government or from athletic institutions. 
Define discipline: 
It is a great feeling to meet such young and disciplined young and older, amateur, currently  competing and retired athletes!





No comments: