Saturday, May 29, 2010

“Comfort zone”

I just typed up a whole book but it erased so I won’t spend too much time doing the whole thing again, I´ll only point out a few important things about Alianza de Mujeres “Alliance of women” a meeting I attended last Thursday and I’ll share some words that will help everyone reflect.
Looking back at the 70’s, 80,s and recent years women’s right weren’t promoted as much as they’ve been the last few years. The Mexican government is now encouraging women to work out of their homes and reach their professional goals. Even though we still have a long way to go, things have evolved slowly but surely and I am very fortunate to be part of life now, I don’t know what it would’ve been like for me many years ago. The closest I can get is to older women telling stories of how repressed they were when they were growing up in the 1930's, 1940's 1950's.
As a woman I know that we have to face a thousand challenges in and out of our homes every day and Alianza de Mujeres is there to walk with us hand in hand and show us a world full of opportunities for us. Our guest Licenciado Jorge Aguilar Sahagun took the risk to talk to us about many advantages and disadvantages of being a woman. I have to say that he was very blunt but I’d rather him be straight forward than lie. Not every woman there agreed though, I could see some heads nodding in shock and disagreement but he made it clear from the beginning that he wasn’t there to please anyone or much less to befriend anyone.
One of the comments most of the ladies there liked was when he said that many people tend to stay stuck in a comfort zone, we are full of good intentions but we leave everything for “mañana” tomorrow, we have endless excuses for everything.
I can recall many more things but it’s getting late and I’ve had a long day today, plus (excuses, excuses, excuses) I can’t miss my morning run tomorrow so I have to get my beauty sleep and re-energize.

“Comfort zone”

I used to have a “comfort zone”
Where I knew I couldn’t fail.
The same four walls and busy work
Were really more like jail.
I longed so much, to do the things
I’ve never done before,
But I stayed inside my comfort zone”
And paced the same old floor.

I said it didn’t matter
That I wasn’t doing much.
I said I didn’t care for things
Like houses, freedom and such.
I claimed to be busy with
The things inside the “Zone”
But deep inside I longed for
Something special of my own.

I couldn’t let my life go by
Just watching others win!
I held my breath and stepped outside
To let the chances begin!
I took a step and with new strength
I’ve never felt before,
I kissed my “Comfort Zone” good-bye
And closed and locked the door!

If you are in a “comfort Zone”
Afraid to venture out,
Remember that all winners were
At one time filled with doubt.
A step or two and words of praise
Can make your dreams come true.
Greet your future with a smile;
Success is there for YOU!!

Somebody is always winning
It might as well be YOU!!

No comments: