Sunday, October 12, 2014

YOU HAVE to MAKE ‘it’ a PRIORITY!

YOU HAVE to MAKE ‘it’ a PRIORITY!
quoted by an apprentice runner
October 12, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman

A few weeks back, I met Jason, an amateur runner who now gets the full scope of what health and fitness are about. He is 33 years old and got into running barely three years ago. He wishes he wouldn’t have waited so long to accomplish this utmost important goal in every human being’s life, which balances your mind and body...fitness.

He is a great example of where/when there’s a will, there’s a way. So, if you think it is too late to get started, follow his pattern! It’s like they say, once you get started, you can never go back. Why not get started now?

Name: Jason Michael Parks    

Gender: Male    

Age: 33

Height: 1.80m (5 ft 11 inches)

Weight: 84 kilos (185 lb 3.0130oz)

Fitness level: I would say high in relation to the population average. 

Body type: A combination of Mesomorph and Endomorph. I have a strong frame and a good metabolism, but I tend to carry a few extra kilos.
BMI (Body Mass Index): 25.8

Total time doing health & fitness, running:
I’ve been going to the gym for 6 or 7 years now, but I started running 3 years ago. Before I started running I weighed a maximum of 115 kg.

Why do you like training?: Training, especially running, is a huge part of my life. It helped me lose weight and gain self-confidence. Training for races gives me specific goals and dates to work toward, it’s a great motivator. Going for a run helps me blow off steam, relax, think through problems I may be having, or sometimes empty my mind and just concentrate on breathing or the mechanics of a run. I also think running helps me deal with all of the issues surrounding being a father to my daughter, who has cerebral palsy. Sometimes the challenges of a disabled child get overwhelming and running becomes my escape. Recently, my wife and I bought a jogging stroller and I take my daughter for a 10km run in the park. She loves it. Her giggles and smile are more motivation than any race shirt, medal, or PR. I could go on and on, but I don’t think runners really need to explain to each other why we love it so much. That’s why I feel a connection to people I see out on a run. I always try and make eye contact, give a wave, or offer a quick greeting. We know.


Do you follow a specific diet/nutrition plan?
Not really. I make a conscious effort to avoid added sugar and saturated fats. I always drink protein shakes after workouts and I up the carbs when my training intensity goes up. I do a long run most Sundays, and I use it as an excuse to eat junk. I used to smoke and drink a lot. Since my daughter was born I quit smoking and I rarely drink anymore.


What is your health and fitness objective?: To live and be healthy until old age. To remain physically strong to be able to help my daughter, who has (and will have) severe mobility impairment. More egotistically, I want to be able to continue running and training for competitions for many years to come. Sometime in the future (maybe after I move up a few age groups) I would love to qualify for and run the Boston Marathon.


What events, marathons have you participated in?
My first training objective was the Medio Maraton Atlas 2012. I trained for it for 4 months, almost killed myself running it, and haven’t slowed down since. I have about 10 half marathons under my belt on roads and trails, it’s probably my favorite distance. I like marathons because they are so freaking hard. My first was the Maraton de Guadalajara 2013, it was awful then glorious. I recently ran the Maraton de la Ciudad de Mexico 2014 and I’m currently training for the Maraton de Guadalajara 2014. If my wife will let me, I want to try some ultra-distances next year.
Number of events, marathons: 9 half marathons (including one 25k trail), 3 marathons, trail races from 10-25k, and a bunch of 10k road races. I think I have 22 or 23 medals hanging in my house now.
Date/s: My first race was the Atenas-Tucson 2012 10k at the Unidad Deportiva Tucson in Guadalajara. I’ve been running races consistently since. I set a 21k PR in the Medio Maraton de Guadalajara 2014 of 1:32:58. My marathon PR was at the 2014 Garmin Marathon in Olathe, Kansas, where I ran a 3:24:01. 

Where?
The majority of my races have been in Guadalajara. I love trail racing in the Primavera, and I run the Medio Maraton Mundo Cuervo every year in Tequila. Ive also run a half marathon in Chicago (Rock and Roll), a marathon in Kansas (my hometown), and the Mexico City marathon.


What category would you classify yourself in?
Whatever category a 33 year old man falls into.


How did you get into running?
I bought a pair of running shoes just after my 30th birthday. At the time I lived in Toluca, Estado de Mexico. I went to the park and tried to run the 1.6km loop. I made it through about a kilometer but had to walk the (very slight) uphill. I went back the next day and completed the loop, then just kept adding distance. Each time I completed a new distance, I thought about something longer. I started losing weight and was happy with how I looked and felt, and quickly found myself loving my new hobby.


21k Tequila Jalisco 2013


Rock n Roll Chicago 2013


Sport City Guadalajara 2013

How did you feel after your first victory?
Tired, but with a great sense of accomplishment. If you think about how many people can and have run 21 or 42 kilometers, it is a good feeling. 

Biggest challenges you’ve had to face: (In running) Finding a balance between training and family/social life. As any distance runner will attest, it is a big time commitment. My wife is not a runner and often doesn’t understand and is not on board with the commitments required. Going to bed and waking up early on weekends, refusing food and alcohol, taking time out of the day to run, all of these are big commitments that require a delicate balance, especially in a marriage and if you have children.

Advice to young/amateur athletes: Do something that makes you happy. If you’re good enough to go to the Olympics, that’s awesome. If not, so what? I started running when I was 30, and I wish I hadn’t waited so long to begin. I will never go pro or probably even climb on the podium, but that’s not what running is (or should be) about. A lot of runners are happy to not enter races or compete, and more power to them!


What do you think about Mexico being number 1 in children overweight and obesity and the U. S. number 1 in adult overweight and obesity?
It’s no surprise that in developed countries throughout the world we are seeing a spike in obesity and obesity related disease. People have to work more and longer hours to make less money. Children are allowed to sit in front of various screens for hours at a time. Most paradoxically, especially in the US, empty calories are much cheaper than healthy ones. Trying to feed a family is much easier, cheaper, and faster with fast food, processed food, and junk food than with whole foods and good calories. The US actively subsidizes unhealthy choices and our food production is in the hands of huge multi-national corporations. It is more profitable to produce sugary, salty, fattening options laced with chemicals than fresh, whole foods. Don’t expect to see any of this change in the near future. 



Do you have further comments and/or advice for other health and fitness enthusiasts?
I laugh to myself when people tell me all the reasons they have to NOT run or exercise. YOU HAVE to MAKE 'it' a PRIORITY! Everyone I know who is an “enthusiast” loves it and looks forward to working out. Don’t make excuses, set reasonable goals, attain them, then set new ones.

No comments: