Friday, June 20, 2014

Eliminating distractions

Eliminating distractions
June 20, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


Exactly 10 years ago I told two people that I wanted to write a book, yet I never envisioned it, planned it, strategized or set a deadline. That statement was only a distant mirage that my childhood dreams made me yearn for when my love for writing first came forth. Precisely ten years later, I still haven’t written an entire book but I have become co-author with eleven other women from different cities, ethnicities, backgrounds and cultures of a life-changing script. This victory (I call a book a victory), will be published on Friday June 27, 2014, exactly a week from today through the International Women’s Leadership Association.

Just yesterday when I received the manuscript as I skimmed through it for a final revision, I finally got a real sense of what a powerful project this is. I was filled with joy and a burst of Esperanza (hope) and I couldn’t help contemplating all the different ways I can eliminate all distractions to fully focus on another one of my victories. I was on the verge of tears caught amid excitement, pride and contentment when I started resonating with the other co-authors who I don’t even know. I still can’t get over the bewilderment of how all of us came together to give life to a shared passion. Real soon I won’t only resonate with my fellow writers but with all the women I will share this book with. My female students in two different groups have already asked me to meet once or twice a week to talk about it because they are just as eager as I am to see my final product.

It is a pleasure for me to share my work with them if it’s going to impact them and other women in a positive way. Now that I am barely crawling to reach one of my triumphs, I want to get motivated by all the women who want to see my work. One of my goals is to change my life by changing that of others, that’s why I am certain that this will be the best approach and I can’t wait till next Friday. From now until then I will be counting every single second I hear the echo of the ticking clock.

This project is the result of focus, discipline, arduous work, incredible self-control and all those moments that I didn’t feel like writing, yet I didn’t give in to my cajoling mind. Through insistence, resistance, persistence and resiliency I retaliated to eliminate all distractions roaming in my surroundings. Now I can challenge myself to accomplish something bigger and even better, perhaps my biography, maybe it’s too soon for that? Perchance I am daunted about certain dark stages in my childhood and I am terrified some wounds may reopen and my heart will bleed again?

Never mind about my biography for now, right now I want to eliminate all distracting factors and think about all the marvels I can do with this particular achievement!

No comments: