Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Is overweight normal?


Is overweight normal?
December 10, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman



What’s a normal weight for a thirty something 5 foot 2 inch woman? 
According to wikianswers.com

A 5 foot 2 woman should weight between 120 to 130 pounds.

Though some people describe me as small, I would categorize myself on the borderline of small and medium, which means that my ideal weight would be between 108-132 pounds.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm


5'2"
Small frame: 108-121
Medium frame: 118-132
Large frame: 128-143


At this precise moment as I type, I took a brief time out to weigh myself and the number on the scale gave me this number: 113 pounds (51.2559 kilos).

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my perfect weight was precisely 108 pounds, unlike now that I dreaded looking at that ‘magical’ number due to the inconsistency and lack of motivation that have struck me very aggressively lately.  As much as I reach down to find the “why,” deep down in my pocket, it must have gone stray because I cannot find it. Plus! A lot of mindless, compulsive, impulsive, emotional, unnecessary and excessive eating have reigned my every day.

I used to consider myself a health and fitness enthusiast but I’ve rearranged the sequence of the wording: I am a fitness enthusiast because I love working out BUT, I ONLY claim to be a health advocate. There’s a difference between advocating something and actually putting it into practice.

Very contrastingly, 113 pounds means an insignificant number to the majority of the population worldwide. Here I am suffering due to my health down fall this  year (it was the worst year every!), there was a substantial change in my body all around so I have to go back to basics fitness wise. On the contrary, to other people’s eyes, I am still ‘weak,’ ‘puny,’ ‘feeble,’, ‘skinny,’ NOT thin, ‘little’, ‘frail,’ ‘small,’ or I look like a niña, (a young girl), I was told this last comment as recently as yesterday. This one is hard to believe!

Someone was once insolent enough to imply that I should eat more because I was on the borderline of anorexia or bulimia. Since I’ve been here, there hasn’t been a single person who’s considered me normal.
I am bedazzled by others’ reactions and comments everywhere I go as I don’t fully comprehend why people have slowly accepted overweight as ‘normal.’ 
Through my readings the other day, I came across a woman, a health and fitness enthusiast who is amazingly fit after her third birth. She was being horribly scrutinized by all these hate comments.Those haters don’t know this woman, true she’s married, and her husband seems VERY supportive, she’s fortunate enough to be running some of her family’s business so time is not a constraint as it is for others, she has incredible genetics and a lot of other points in her favor. 

On the other hand, she’s got what 90 or 95% of the population lacks: INCREDIBLE SELF-CONTROL and DISCIPLINE, cooks smart, she doesn’t eat junk, never misses her workouts, she fuels up her engine with a clean and transparent diet, and on top of that, she’s helping thousands of people through her passion. Health and fitness.

This woman rebutalled very smartly and politely even after being called very offensive names by a massive group of people. Before she apologized to all those she had ‘offended,’ she argumented that society accepts women as ‘normal,’ with 20, 30 pounds over their indicated weight. Yet they are making her, a fit woman be ashamed of herself?

The overweight and obesity rate has gone sky high now that when a ‘normal’ looking person is seen, they are contemplated as ‘abnormal.’ Unfortunately, for all those who are full of excuses, there will always be a culprit other than “I.” dissimilar to me and other fitness enthusiasts; overweight and obesity are NOT normal...

No comments: