Friday, May 10, 2013

Bigger and better


Bigger and Better
Purification stage
May 10, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman




“During the hard times, it’s important to focus on the things you can change in that moment, instead of what you should have or could have done differently,”
Annie Thorisdottir



Many athletic competition years and events stand behind Icelander Annie Thorisdottir (Daughter of Thor. According to http://anniethorisdottir.net/who-is-annie-thorisdottir/, Annie is named after her father, Thor Magnison, who is named after his father Magnus. This is a tradition in Iceland, where a child’s last name is their father’s first name.),
such as,  2 years of ballet, 8 years of gymnastics and two years of pole vaulting. Her athletic physique, experience, determination, youth, focus, resistance, and persistence, are what led her to become World Cross Fit champion in 2011. 

I learned about Annie just a little while ago when I came across ‘The Box Mag,’ a Magazine focused to those individuals living the Cross Fit lifestyle. This was the right impulsing shot in the arm I needed to get focused and regain the incredible self-control I’ve been lacking since my long-enduring, physically painfuland mentally draining episode.

I immediately resonated with her feelings of frustration for not being able to perform at my max when and where I wished. Although my emotions were not manifested through tears, my body underwent a lot of inner and outer physical turmoil that I still haven't reached normality. 

All through the black and white, ups and downs, good and bad of that unforgettable experience that left me marked forever, I couldn’t take the last intense few weeks prior to starting physical therapy out of my mind. That time was a very important step in my athletic career that proved my strength and determination because I had laddered to a higher level ...
I had started integrating cross fit two or three times a week into my routines, two workout buddies asked me to introduce and train them to this wonderful world, which I immediately did until my knee couldn’t withstand the strain. In accordance to this, I became deaf and blind to my body’s cries, I overestimated the power of an injured body and  forced it too much.

All in all, it was an experience that I could’ve avoided. During that time I couldn’t help playing this thought over and over, “I should’ve done things differently, had I slowed down on time, all the physical and emotional pain could’ve lasted less time and I could’ve been on a much higher level right now.” Most interestingly though, that faceoff with physical burden, have taught me the following conditions: 
Pride myself of having been there and done for 12 years on a competitive level and more than half of my life as a lifestyle, don’t be so competitive anymore, slow down, embrace all the stages as they come, hold on to the good aspect and let go of the bad one, continue getting educated and learning about health and fitness and my body, reveal my passion now more than ever, let my body heal, and be patient throughout this purification stage I am still going through, but overall, prove myself that I will be back bigger and better post surgery, but overall, do something with the fitness legacy I am slowly leaving behind.  


Thereupon, I still have another couple of months to go before I can get into cross fit again, for now I will slowly integrate more strength and continue cleansing my body until the physical pain subsides. When that happens, I will challenge myself to reach a higher level and regain my incredible discipline to be bigger and better...





Annie, Thorrisdotir, World Crossfit Champion 2011





Forza fitness for ´Guerreras´

No comments: