Monday, July 23, 2012

Writing with a purpose


Writing with a purpose
July 23, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román


Always write with a purpose because I am a student of my speech which is mirrored in my text. Maybe not! Sometimes I only want to type or write, write or type, type and write, write and type, like the ten page letter I wrote the other day when I was very anxious unable to find the answer to something in particular.

In general terms I write when I am angry although it is not reflected. I write when I am frustrated and there’s no one at that given moment to have a comforting girlie chat. Or when that sad time of the month hits bringing melancholy along and I can’t fight the YUCKY cramps and nausea! I write when I feel empty and nothing seems to fill that void…only sweets, potato chips and all the junk I can get my hands on. I write when I am content and I want to share my joyful moments but not a single one of the other Roman girls picks up their phone. And when I am feeling self-fulfilled, proud, or when victory knocks on my window. I write, when I’ve reached another personal goal, when I am feeling infatuated with something or someone and I can’t have that temporary pleasure.

Whether a sentiment is positive or negative I write to release my emotions. It is true that I don’t always talk about those very personal moments but when I write is because there is a hot or cold volcano lying or erupting within.

I write because it is my sanctuary, my life, the air I need to breathe, to make my existence whole, one of the loves of my life and because I will continue to do it until I am eighty or ninety…if I live that long.

I write when I argue with someone, instead of offending them I am very cautious with the words I will spit out because once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten, I bite my tongue instead, come home and type until I wear out and I am at ease.

I write when a friend or a family member is hurting and the solution is not in my hands. I write when I find out disappointing news. Writing is my best friend who listens to me patiently when I fail, I write when I feel like it and for infinite reasons that I will never stop doing it.

I write to share priceless momentos with myself when I get older and I want to revive all the past memories. I write because I want to do it and because I love doing it, not to become an acclaimed writer for the New York Times, Forbes or the Economist.

I write because it gives me the sense of freedom when I get disconnected from everything and everyone just like when I go on my long joy rides, turning my  phone off or leaving it at home to go M. I. A.

I write to get in touch directly with a part of me that tends to stray.
But most of all I write to create a picture in my mind as portraits are worth a thousand words…
And words poignantly tell us forgotten stories and revive them once again.
Writing is one of the best gifts I can give to myself…

It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them.
Isabel Colegate
Writing, I explained, was mainly an attempt to out-argue one's past; to present events in such a light that battles lost in life were either won on paper or held to a draw.
Jules Feifer
The only time I know that something is true is the moment I discover it in the act of writing.
Jean Malaquais
One of the things that draws writers to writing is that they can get things right that they got wrong in real life by writing about them.
Tobias Wolff
Writing wasn’t easy to start. After I finally did it, I realized it was the most direct contact possible with the part of myself I thought I had lost, and which I constantly find new things from. Writing also includes the possibility of living many lives as well as living in any time or world possible. I can satisfy my enthusiasm for research, but jump like a calf outside the strict boundaries of science. I can speak about things that are important to me and somebody listens. It’s wonderful!
Virpi Hämeen-Anttila

No comments: