Saturday, July 14, 2012

Girlie talk is a MUST

Girlie talk is a MUST
By: Gina Yoryet Román
July 14, 2012

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
A. A. Milne, Winnie-the Pooh

I’ve lost track of all the places I’ve lived, part of me has been left here and there but at the same time there’s a little part of “that” in me; the smells, the colors, the people, the culture, the customs, the food and experience, many childhood and adolescence friends. 

There’s been a sense of loss in each departure, the feeling of nostalgia, not knowing whether that farewell will be forever.
In those good byes, even close relatives are long gone because we hardly ever keep in touch.

Where I stand at this moment and time, in the friendship territory it is very typical to see people come and go so I should’ve coped with it by now but naaaaah! It is very hard to see someone for a short time and then someone new that I don’t even go the extra mile to get to know people.

Of course now there are a million ways to stay in touch and all but I am honestly awful in that matter.
All I’d have to do is reactivate my facebook account and baaahm! Everyone I’ve ever met is there but those networks still give me the creeps.

Throughout years a zillion people have come and vanished, some I’ve kept in touch with for a long while, some I’ve lost track of for good, some I don’t even bother, ¡Qué flojera! But overall, there’s always a sense of contentment to see joyful faces, go for a joy ride, escape for a weekend, even someone to go get a manicure or pedicure with and even better, meet up with a guy friend to get his intake in men or just talk about life in general. Male buddies are one of the best gifts in life because there will always be mutual trust and respect, plus they will always be crystal clear about boy issues.

Nothing beats a nice girly talk though! Girls can be very catty and competitive among one another but I find it rather pointless and a waste of time and energy. For all those women who imply, “I don’t have any female friends, I get along a lot better with guys.” It is silly of them to even look at it from that perspective, it may be more their insecurity sprouting which leads them to distance themselves from other female species.

This has happened in different occasions in my life, particular girls have acted very immature and competitive so I break off the friendship immediately since I don’t have the least interest in wasting my time, plus the older I get, the more selective I become with who I befriend.

The only two women who I’ve known for about twenty years and kept in touch with are my lifetime best friends, N. M. and R. M., The first is American born to Mexican parents and the latter is Salvadorian but she is now American after having lived in the U. S. since she was a child.

It doesn’t matter where these two ladies or I are, I may not hear from them in six or eight months but panic doesn’t strike me because I know we’ll always be there for each other. Time and distance will never be an issue.

When I am in desperate need of girly talk, I call them and business is taken care of. Believe it or not, in the entire time I’ve known them there’s never been a moment of friction or competition.

We have cried, laughed together, we’ve pulled out of crisis together, we’ve reached out and saved each other when we are down in the dumps. We have advised each other, accept each other as we are and we throw judgment to the trash can.

As Latinas we know that our culture can be very judgmental so it is not our job to be critical or competitive between us.
Our job is to give love, affection, comprehension, joy, comfort, laughs, and advice.

Here I occasionally have girly talk with a local friend, C. T., who I can really confide in (we had breakfast yesterday). And today was an amazingly beautiful sunny and happy day because I got caught up with R. M., who lives in Nebraska. There are other wonderful ladies who I call my mentors because they’ve been there, done that, they have been bent and broken temporarily but never defeated, brushing off all the negativity and moved on. They’ve mentored me in every aspect of life so I am very grateful for all the great women I’ve shared ups and downs with.

Being able to release everything with someone after holding it for long is such a refreshing feeling as mental and emotional baggage can be very overwhelming. What could be more comforting than a nice relaxing girly talk?

Girlfriends in my life are essential, a MUST!


“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
C. S. Lewis

 “Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.”
Sarah Dessen, Someone Like you

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”
William Shakespeare

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.”
Henri J. M. Nouwen, The Road to Daybreak: A spiritual Journey

“We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.”
A. A. Milne, Winnie-the Pooh

“Good friends are like stars,
you don’t always see them,
but you know they are always there.”
Unknown

No comments: