Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sisters are the core of one’s soul

Sisters are the core of one’s soul
February 19, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


“If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.” John 4:20

Going through daily news updates this article in NeoMundo popped up and it immediately caught my eye. “Even though the majority of us can’t stand sisters, a recent study reports the opposite as having sisters can bring many benefits. Those who have sisters don’t feel as sad and lonely as being an only child.”

Having sisters isn’t in the least something I detest, I’ve always been very grateful for the four amazing women who have been my faithful companions throughout my journey. Yes, there have been many moments when we’ve annoyed each other, argued, disagreed, critiqued and been mean to each other. When we were little girls we even got to the point of fist fighting and gave each other the cold shoulder for a few days but deep down we’ve always known that we will always stick out for each other.

Regardless of the lack of physical signs of love and affection and in despite of living so far apart and spending very little time together, we know that we are only a phone call away or we can simply hop on a plane to help each other feel at ease when we are going through internal turmoil.

As the second youngest woman in my family, I’ve experienced the influence of having older sisters all my life. My sisters helped me reflect when I felt tempted to go against my parents rules when I was going through my “rebel with many causes” period. They also played an important role of who I wanted to become some day.

We’d also borrow each other clothes and shoes, sometimes we’d fight for it, and we played sports together, went out together and covered each other when we used to sneak out the window. LOL!

We are lucky to be very close in age and it’s been a unique experience that can be shared with others who have and truly appreciate their sisters.
The thought of what would life be without them makes me feel empty and lonely. I wouldn't be complete without them.

Now we are the ones keeping the tie in my family since my brothers are very distracted and distant at times without meaning harm, I guess they are just being “guys.” But for the most part we are all very close. Unlike some people I’ve met in the past who hate their siblings or parents creating a huge gap of distance between them. They don’t understand the importance of having a family or the benefits that can bring.

Benefits of having a sister:


Quotes on siblings:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yoryet,

Just to say, I am sure your sisters are very proud of you for what you are, been and will be.

Cuidate mucho, don't you give up. OP.