Monday, February 6, 2012

The best things in life are priceless

“The best things in life are priceless”
February 6, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Roman

After coming back from my early rush hour at 6:45 this morning, I hopped back into bed and wrapped myself around with my blankets like a huge “tamal.” I didn’t have to storm out of the house because today is “Día de la Constitución” which was drafted in Queretaro during the Mexican Revolution and later approved by the Constitutional Congress on February 5, 1917.

Squeezing in more zzzzz’s wasn’t a bad idea but I felt amazingly great since last weekend I got more than plenty of sleep. 13 nonstop hours and then I took another two hour nap yesterday so I was more than caught up.

I grabbed “Atlas Shrugged,” instead and read almost a chapter. Most people are not too keen on this story and I can see why because it seems endless. I love that Dagny Taggart character, even though it is only fiction, she’s the type of personality I feel connected with. She’s strong, independent, represses her feelings especially after that player Francisco D’Anconia breaks her heart.

Ayn Rand managed to project her writing very vividly so every time I come across Francisco, I just want to slap the man and tell him that Dagny is an amazing woman and what a fool he is for letting her go. LOL!

Just as I was getting into the story, the chirping of the birds caught my attention so I put the book down for a few minutes to hear their chant announcing spring. At that moment I realized that I had NEVER in my life stopped to enjoy the best things in life which are free of cost.

We are always bombarded with projects, deadlines, goals to accomplish, house chores to be done, endless work demands and limits we set ourselves that we never stop and smell the coffee.

We seem to ignore many things and richness of our countries. A few weeks ago I read an article in yahoo news titled like this, “Energía Solar para alumbrar tu casa, el sol sale para todos y regala electricidad.” Meaning that México has one of the highest solar ratios in the world making it legal for people to generate electricity for self-consumption. México would be able to develop a whole industry from the production of solar panels to the industrial consumption.

My question is how many are aware of this? It is our nature that which must be given a much higher importance than what we give it and not concentrate so much on vain and materialistic issues.

No comments: