Sunday, December 11, 2011

Killing Us Softly

Killing Us Softly
December11, 201
By Gina Yoryet Roman

There was this article in yahoo news a few days ago in which Jessica Beil was quoted about dieting. Maybe she meant to project the message differently but she was literally complaining about always being hungry because of all the diets she has tried causing some resentment and making it impossible for her to stop obsessing with food.

She confessed that she really suffers with the ongoing depriving diets which don’t permit her to splurge on all the goodies she likes. She sounded very miserable for not being able to eat.

According to Jessica, “You spend months and months training and dieting like crazy, it is the toughest experience, you look amazing but you are miserable, I literally dream about food because you normally eat tedious and boring food such as chicken breast and vegetables all the time when in reality all you crave is bread, pasta, croissants, that is all you think about.”

She also expressed her disgust on Hollywood’s expectations of women and how demanding it is for females to maintain themselves on the borderline of falling into an eating disorders.
The pressure has always been there but it keeps getting more and more competitive, and on top of that, there will always be a glass ceiling in Hollywood as far as men and women. The media is not as hard on men as it is “ok” if they have a belly and are bald headed, even gray hair can be considered sexy in “mature” men but women cannot let those things happen.

That is one of the many reasons why all female celebrities as well as almost every woman are willing to do whatever it takes to be thin without realizing that they take things to the extreme.

Female celebrities neglect to understand that fame is “Killing Them Softly,” or I should say, they let themselves fall into this Hollywood fantasy image, they keep up with the expectations until their body can’t take it any longer. They fall on denial neglecting to see that all they’re doing is sabotaging their image.

What woman doesn’t want to be thin and beautiful? But things are very extreme taking into account that the profile of a typical woman on tv is far from real.
About 95% perhaps more famous women don’t look human anymore because of a number of plastic surgeries and on top of that the images are photo shopped.

This can have a negative impact especially among teenagers as the suicide rate keeps increasing dramatically because more young adults are starting to develop eating disorders in desperate search of the best method to be thin and attractive.
Ever since I got into Health and Fitness I’ve been all for eating healthy, looking and feeling good but within a limit. Leading a healthy lifestyle backing that with an active life is one of the best gifts you can give to “YOU.”

I’d have to disagree with Jessica Beil though. She’s exaggerating a bit too much because there isn’t any need to diet, never, not a single time in life. It is not as dramatic as she made it sound. Another thing that people don’t want to understand is that when someone chooses to adopt a healthy lifestyle, it doesn’t have to be boring or tasteless. I always look at my food and working out the same way I look at the clothes I wear, I mix them, match them and see which one gives me better results and it is actually a ton of fun.

I cannot think of a single time of my life when I’ve gone into a diet, I do go through moments where I pamper myself though and I release the craving beast within. Of course I feel the guilt trip immediately after that but in reality I am worry free because those calories will vanish sooner or later.

And although one of the most depressing factors in life for me is NOT having anything to eat, I’ve never been obsessed with food, I get my hands on anything whenever I want it as frequently as I want it and problem solved.
Many women look at it from a different perspective, they strongly believe that the extra weight is going to disappear right away, they think that dieting is momentary but in reality, it is a lifetime habit.

Sometimes women don’t see that we are all shaped differently and they get frustrated when they cannot get the same results as the women who come out on tv.
They waste a lot of time, money, energy and effort trying to look like someone else and they also let themselves be deceived by many myths that should’ve been debunked long ago for good.

Let’s say for instance when an amazingly fit woman comes out on tv advertising diet pills or this magic gel that will make your muffin top disappear without even having to lift a finger.
The first thing that goes into women’s minds when they see this woman is, “I’m going to buy that product and I am going to look like her within a week!” and they get frustrated when they don’t get the expected results.

We all have different metabolisms, bodily needs, lifestyles, demands, so we have to make the best of what we have.
I strongly believe that we as women should never imitate other women and we shouldn’t let ourselves be killed softly by society’s high demands. I always go by these fitness rules to avoid being hungry and feeling frustrated.

1) If you crave it, eat it (just watch the frequency).
2) Don’t let those calories creep on your love handles, get up, stay active, keep moving.
3) Watch the portions but first and foremost, be loyal to your health which doesn’t mean that you have to starve all the time.

No comments: