Sunday, June 7, 2015

The limits of my world

The limits of my world
June 7, 2015
By: Gina Yoryet Roman

I was just going through some articles about the advantages of being bilingual. The most interesting I found was this one published by Maria Konnikova on January 22, 2015.

Konnikova made reference to Philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein who stated the following phrase, “The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.” The words that we have at our disposal affect what we see—and the more words there are, the better our perception. When we learn to speak a different language, we learn to see a bigger world.

I experienced this transformation when I learned a second language. It was not an easy process but it was not impossible either. Considering the first words that I blurted out, “the cat coffee,” as opposed to the brown cat. I determined myself to not only speak a second language but to work towards a higher level. Even now after I co-authored a book, I constantly feel that I have to strive towards higher to improve that language.

I can connect the conception that Philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein made with every stage and task that each person has to face in our journey. Limitation is nothing but an abstract idea fabricated by our cajoling and deceitful mind. Our mind is a very powerful tool that can be used to our advantage or disadvantage and we set our own restraints.

I have learned to make my mind more resilient to reach a stronger spirit, heart, soul and body. Therefore the drawbacks have only been temporary hindrances that have challenged me to decide whether I want to let them defeat me or not. The opportunities concealed behind those impediments are my main challenge to position myself towards a more promising tomorrow. Those favorable circumstances disguised as stumbling blocks, are my lucky charm at my disposal and they have affected me in a very positive way. My perception towards all the contretemps I’ve encountered has overturned to a clearer overview of who I am and what I want from life.

I am no longer subdued by this world, the universe still seems like a bigger planet that provides me infinite opportunities based on my dreams, goals, skills and yearnings, and my limitations only lie within.

No comments: