Saturday, May 24, 2014

With age comes wisdom

With age comes wisdom
May 23rd, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


With age comes wisdom is a very legitimate verdict. Sometimes when I reminiscence about all the silly actions and irresponsible decisions I made when I was younger I laugh about it and tell my mother or sisters that I would never do such things again. As I get older I try not to act irresponsibly because I don’t want the crude revelation of the capricious woman to arise. During our youth we all want to explore, experience and learn, once we reach a certain age, we have to be mature and wise enough to differentiate right from wrong.

Sadly not every person does, I’ve met people who never grow out of drugs, promiscuity, laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity, wrong decision making or negative actions. For example, the title of this post came about a little while ago when I was cleaning my closet and getting rid of a lot of clothes I don’t wear anymore to donate it to charity or to someone in higher need than myself. I ran into my favorite mini, I mean, really MINI skirts (and tried it on) in which I’d proudly flaunt my athletic legs on a few years back. Feeling very vulnerable, I immediately took it off because it took me back to five, six years ago when I went through an anxiety and sadness bout.

At that time I worked as a demo girl and model at expos, body painting shows, Muay Thai fights and other sporting events. All of a sudden one day all that superficiality and mundanity hit me at once and I decided to withdraw from it all because at the end of the day when I came home, I felt empty and deep down that wasn't me. Even when the makeup artists did my makeup I always told them to keep it very low key but all I got in return where awkward glares. I like makeup, but anything in excess has always made me feel susceptible and indefensible to the world. I prefer a low profile because I am not giving away the key to my heart and soul to the entire universe.

Remarkably that mini skirt brought many reflections of my life then and now. Although I was shortly invaded with those negative feelings when it all came back to me, I felt liberated and I told myself, “it’s ok, you’ve been there, done that, you are happy with the wise woman you’ve become.” Without delay right after those comforting words, I ran to my computer to release it all in writing.

I am glad that I’ve grown out of mini skirts, irresponsibility, immaturity and wrong decision making, drugs, promiscuity and laziness have never been on my plate. I pride myself to have outgrown outer beauty over inner beauty, now I am more about inner beauty over outer beauty. I am not perfect, I am human, therefore I will always make mistakes but every day gives me the opportunity to learn from my own mistakes and to grow wiser as I get older.

No comments: