Sunday, March 23, 2014

Is vegetarianism the answer?


Is vegetarianism the answer?
March 23, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


I semi read this article in portuguese a while back and once again just a little while ago: IBOPE: 17,5 milhões de brasileiros são vegetarianos. According to the article, the study was conducted between August 2009 and July 2010 in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Porto Alegre, Curitiba, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife, Fortaleza, Brasília , in which 18.884 people were interviewed about their eating habits and the surprising outcome was 17.5 million vegetarians.

It made me do some serious thinking about Mexico, Argentina, England, the U. S., and other countries that are big on eating meat. Is vegetarianism the answer to put a halt to many health related issues? It would for sure stop over weight and obesity. The only question is, how many people would be willing to give up meat or simply cut back on it? Not many I suppose. 

It can be very hard to fight over eating and eat moderately but once your body gets used to it, it’ll start claiming a clean diet and it won't react too well to low quality food. The problem with over weight and obesity and many other health related issues, is that people eat compulsively, impulsively, emotionally, unnecessarily, excessively and mindlessly, and as long as we don’t control that, the world will NEVER change. If we want change, it MUST start WITHIN. 

It’s like smoking, there can be massive campaigns to make us aware that these are harmful habits and that we as human beings can be self-destructing. It doesn’t matter how many health clubs we can join, how many motivational tv or internet programs there are, it all boils down to WILL. I am not critical about anyone because we are all on the same boat. Food has always been one of my weaknesses. I’ve always been really disciplined with my work outs unlike my diet. For example, my younger sister doesn’t work out as hard as I do, but she’s overly disciplined about dieting. In result she’s got a very slender and toned up physique, plus she’s taller than me. It takes me more work because I am shorter and a little rounder, therefore, I have to work twice as hard with what I have and do the best I can. 

I stopped eating read meat for about a year in the past, pork has been out of my menu for over ten years, and I’ve never given up chicken completely. Perhaps it is time to give up all of that and focus on veggies, sea food and soy based products to be healthier and regain my energy because aging can be detrimental to our health depending on how much we care for our tenple...

No comments: