Monday, March 17, 2014

I truly am...


I truly am..
sorry
March 17, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


I REALLY am sorry about ramming into a cab driver right in front of my yesterday because of a two second idiotic distraction. Really, it was that stupid! As I got closer to the red light, I gently stepped on the break but before pressing it completely, I bent down and reached for my water bottle under the passenger’s seat and let go of the break completely!!! What an oaf I was to attempt that being behind the wheel, it’s like uploading my own, “don’t try this at home,” video for dummies to prevent others from making the same mistake.

The entire time I waited for my claim adjustor to arrive and even now, I get choked up visualizing the man’s face. I can’t erase his anxious and worried smirk off my mind and I can’t help feeling genuinely guilty to have caused him such financial and emotional grief. The impact was not that intense, my vehicle was more damaged than his but the time he waited was MORE valuable than anything else. I highly respect and value other people’s time because it is priceless.

Sadly, for many bus/taxi drivers and thousands of others, time means money, not a fortune but a meager couple of pesos, that’s why they have to take advantage of every single second. As for taxi and bus drivers, they have to pay an overly high rent fee to the vehicle owners to be able to make a minimum commission. In amount to this, they have to work very long hours against all odds such as extreme weather and thousands of crazy, ill-considered, and absent minded drivers. What does the future hold for individuals like this unfortunate man who lives in Analco, one of the oldest and poorest neighborhoods in this city? Life is indeed very bleak for them. 

That’s why in despite of not doing it intentionally, I will always be truly sorry for hurting him (I caused him a bloody nose) and for taking some precious time away from his hands because that time and the money he could have made, will never be restored. That’s the reason I was impulsed to give him $200 pesos, not to bribe him nor to buy his word because it was all on me, that insignificant amount of money was for him to seek medical help. 

What else could I have done for him? Had I had more money, I wouldn’t have hesitated to give him more. When we parted our ways, I shook his hand and told him I was sincerely sorry and that I would pray to God to keep him away from drivers like me. In return, I got a very passive smile from such humble and good hearted man, unlike the one who ran into me a few months back but took off on me because he didn’t have insurance, a license or registration. How could people live with themselves when they do something like that? 

I pray for that man the same way I pray for me and everyone for us to be more cautious and alert when we are on the road to avoid hurting ourselves and others...Bless that man’s unpretentious heart!

No comments: