Sunday, October 3, 2010

10 golden rules for every busy woman


10 golden rules for every busy woman

Life in Guadalajara seems to be happening so quickly and as much as I want to get out there and learn more about this amazing and beautiful city I don’t know where time goes. Lately it feels as if my days are not long enough and I wish there were more hours in the day so many more things could get done - or if I could only have one idle hour, I’d be able to relax and stop and smell the coffee or perhaps I’d come up with something else to do. As I get older my self-expectations get higher and it is a bit frustrating at times not being able to meet them. I must be going through the 30’s crisis because this question keeps popping on my head, “what are you going to do with your life?”
There are so many things to do, people to meet, places to go, goals and expectations to meet before I hit the big 35! Even though I am not married nor do I have a significant other sometimes I wonder if I’d be able to juggle my time between work, my workouts, my family and him.
I guess I’ll cross that line when I get to it. At this moment I have a full plate with all my goals. “and how many hours do you sleep every night? Two?” a good friend of mine asked me earlier in the week. She told me, “I have to confess something, I have always looked up to you when it comes to discipline you are my role model, I’d never said it but I really do admire you.” So this is what I said, “oh! Believe me, I have many flaws just like everyone else does, after all I’m a human being.”
The other person was one of my students, I had assigned some homework to him and to bring a handout to class but he didn’t do it. He said, “I’m sorry, I know you are very organized and you’re always on top of everything.” I said the exact same thing to him. I’m a human being and I have many imperfections.
One of the things that I don’t know how to handle is saying “no” to my mother sometimes when she wants to spend more time with me; even though I don’t have children sometimes it feels as if I did because she’s like a child, she can be very demanding. She is almost my partner in crime in this city because her and my adorable nephew are the ones I spent the most time with outside of work. Even then I may not spend as much time with them as I’d like to. I don’t even have time for myself. Here people have to work harder to make less money. Every week I want to call all my siblings and close friends more often, I want to spend more time at the gym and really focus on my Health and Fitness career, I want to be able to read more and write more articles like the magazine and the newspaper just like I did before and write more in order to accomplish one of my lifetime goals to write a book, and to have more time to better prepare for my classes (it is not like I don’t prepare but I always feel like I should do better – that’s just me with everything though), I want to take more translation courses to brush up on my skills and be a better translator, I want to have more time to study to become a sworn translator, I want to have more time to relax and do charity work, I want to spend more time with my loved ones but from the moment I get up (at 5am every day) it is nonstop until 8, 9 or 10 pm, sometimes even later, I never have one moment’s rest.
This may not be a good answer but I still manage to do a little bit of everything but this year I will decipher my plans for the future and decide what I’d like to do in a long term basis so I can stop doing many different things here and there and that will happen no later than December of this year. I already know what it is because I can feel it with my heart, something that I became very passionate about ever since I was 17, all I need to do is step up and do it and don’t look back.
This turmoil in my life inspired me to come up with this “Must” list for women.



10 golden rules for every busy woman


1) I am not on call to all of the people all of the time.
2) I have needs of my own and they may not be the same as my friends’, familys’ or colleagues’.
3) I don’t have to say yes to every request put to me.
4) I don’t have to carry on doing something just because I’ve always done it.
5) Time I spend relaxing, time well spent.
6) I know there is no such thing as the perfect girlfriend, wife, mother or child.
7) Time I spend feeling guilty could be spent doing more enjoyable things.
8) I won’t do it for others if they are capable of doing it themselves.
9) I owe myself the same care and consideration I give to others.
10) Remember at all times, especially in the face of criticism, when I’m up against difficulties and anxiety: I’m doing the best I can!

1 comment:

Gina Yoryet said...

Down in Mexico, not every woman is able to face the new age in terms of working life. So you can find many housewifes looking for a new place to have cofee or to burn all the time they have when they finish their job at home. Believe it or not, that's true, and I am not talking about, rich people, I am talking about middle class, so we have to be grateful for living in a Country like this.