Monday, August 17, 2015

Spanish origin

Spanish origin
August 17, 2015


Last Thursday our PELE Spanish as a Foreign Language Teacher Training teacher, gave us a fascinating reading about the origin of the Spanish language called, El español nació del latín - Spanish derives from Latin. We were put in groups to create either a song or a poem based on this reading in only fifteen minutes. I am very creative but when I am working under my own time constraints. I am a self didact, I do better with learning at my own pace, I don´t do as well learning under someone else´s instructions.

Anyhow, one of the girls in my team is a poet so that made it much easier to come up with a small poem. Here´s what she basically came up with (I won´t translate it because it´ll defeat the sole purpose that Spanish provides it):


El español nació del latín

¡Oh Roma conquistadora!
Nos diste culto, nos diste lengua.
El latín murió hace mucho,
más el común llegó a la Iberia
al mismo tiempo que Mahoma.

De su sinergia surgió el romance; portugués, italiano,
francés y otras lenguas.
Colón aprendió azteca,
y así nació el Mexicano.

No comments: